Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Return to a cancelled match?

rowdyb

Would you travel back to a cancelled match?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Would you return to a large match that had been cancelled the day before?

• Yes, but depends.
    • Maybe, maybe not.
    • No, just write it off.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go back. No one can control the weather. Cancellation is a risk you take when signing up and paying for a match far in advance. The best way to mitigate that risk is booking a hotel room with a good cancellation policy and buying a refundable plane ticket. Sometimes even that won't save you if an unforeseeable event happens the day/night before or the day of.  

On 6/7/2019 at 7:27 AM, Mcfoto said:

In our neck of the woods, shooting in the rain is standard fare. The three months of summer are: "oh wow, we don't have to bag today..."

There's a big difference between our rain and what A4 got hit with.  

On 6/7/2019 at 1:07 PM, Joe4d said:

Sorry, but I dont see any excuse for that. Weather forecasting is pretty accurate, call shoulda been made a week at MINIMUM out.
Although, why I wouldnt have signed up to begin with more than a week out or so. And if it is full 6 months out ? So be it. match wouldnt be for me. Wouldnt front all that money, day off requests, non refundable plane tickets, yadda yadda, only to have miserable weather, or cancellation.

And how pissed are people after you cancel it a week out, and then the range is just fine?  

I've shot in some pretty miserable conditions.  Rain, snow, mud, whatever.  But when the safety of shooters or staff is at play, it's not worth it for a game.  Cancel the match when you know it's unsafe and move on.  For the Crimson Trace match we had thunder and lightning one year on the other side of the valley from us.  I came very, very close to cancelling on that one.  It was pretty much constant watching the radar and watching the cell a few miles away.  It was a match with no extra time built in, if we had to call it for a couple hours, it was going to seriously mess everything up.  It's probably the most stress as an MD I've been under.  Everything else is easy.  So if another MD had to cancel an event because of weather, I'm damn sure going to do my best to try and make whatever the make up date is.  

1 hour ago, Chuck Anderson said:

And how pissed are people after you cancel it a week out, and then the range is just fine?  

Doesnt matter, people will be pissed either way,,,  you gather all the info you have, play the odds and make the call.
Been there dun that,,, I had to do just that this spring.. Cancel a major event I was running, people coming from hundreds of miles away with horses,,,  couple weeks out I simply had to make a best guess,  out of a 50 mile course I had about 8 miles of belly deep water on the trail, with more rain forcast AND sub freezing temps at night,, so good possibility on ride day would be ice on the water.
I canceled,,, 2 weeks out...,, and yep scheduled ride weekend was actually fairly decent,,, but I made the right call. 
Sure I coulda played the tough guy line, kept the ride, have half the field not show up, kept their money,  had some die hards have a miserable time, but I'm not like that.
I only know about this match from what I read here,,, but if the bays are underwater on thursday, and the percent chance of more rain is up there not sure what the rational was at that point.
But to the OP,, way more demand than supply for majors,,, some kinda boycot wont change much other than you dont get to shoot. Soooo not much you can do but take the cancellation and move on to the next match.