Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hypertap Brake Review

Blockader

I got the fairly new PWS Hypertap Brake for a build project I have been accumulating parts for this Spring and figured I'd share my impressions here.

The rifle features 16" mid length barrel, adjustable gas, 8 oz BCG/bolt. 

The Hypertap is the most expensive brake I have ever sprung for. It is by far the easiest to install. It looks great. 

It is also the most effective brake I have used. Yes, more effective than the SJC Titan. The lack of movement will make you think something went wrong with your gun. With a proper stance it provides insane dot stability. 

It is also more blasty than the Titan. Noise may be about the same, that's hard to tell. On this 16" barrel with 15" handguard the first 3 or 4 shots was all it took to blow the FDE cerakote off the front edge of the handguard. Chunks of crap hits my support hand as well, more than I have encountered before.

Sooo, I moved theHypertap to my main 3-gun rifle with an 18" barrel. It is more reasonable there and is an improvement over the tuned Armalite brake it's had on it. The lesser weight of the Hypertap is nice there as well. I never felt the Armalite brake was getting enough gas way out there to really work. It does seem to work great on the 16" luckily though. 

Light, expensive, crazy effective, blastrific. 

Do you plan on attempting to tune it with the piloted drill out ports?

I recall seeing another company using removable set screws for turning their brakes.

11 hours ago, HI5-O said:

Do you plan on attempting to tune it with the piloted drill out ports?

I recall seeing another company using removable set screws for turning their brakes.

It shoots dead flat as it is for me. Someone with a different stance and grip might get different results. The Armalite brake did require the tuning plugs to be drilled to achieve a neutral impulse with my stance though.

10 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

I intend to try the Hypertap in the near future. I'll probably drill out then thread the pilot holes so I can do a lot of configuration testing.

Thats a great idea. 

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased the Hypertap to see what the hype is about.  Rifle just doesn't move, makes it really easy to shoot fast.  Also can confirm, very blasty.  I'm glad no one was near me when I was sighting in my new setup.  Size and weight is great, install was a breeze.

I can see the aesthetic similarities to the Lantac, but the baffle profiles have nothing in common, the Miculek even less so.

It doesn't have top ports but it has a series of blind pilot holes that you drill out to your liking.

• 1 year later...

Hello! By blasty, do you mean the shooter will feel the concussion and debris? I had a Precision Armaments M4-72 which was rated top brake for awhile, and on a 16" AR15 I was getting blasted in the face with debris and concussive forces. I returned it and switched to a Silencerco Trifecta on that rifle. But I have a 300WM Browning A-Bolt 3 with a 26" barrel that I intended to thread and use a Hypertap.

I got one drilled it all out, did all the tricks and I can't say it was any better than what I started with. With all the hype I was expecting at least some improvement, but maybe it just isn't cut out for 458 SOCOM. 😂

• 4 months later...
On 10/9/2020 at 11:46 AM, kurtm said:

I got one drilled it all out, did all the tricks and I can't say it was any better than what I started with. With all the hype I was expecting at least some improvement, but maybe it just isn't cut out for 458 SOCOM. 😂

What do you run on a 3-Gun rifle these days, Kurt? For a comp. Just curious...

Edited by wgj3

J.P. enterprises original Cooley brake, or a Rolling Thunder from Triangle. Now take this for what it is worth.. Rene Peltokoski...the current world rifle champion and I agree! As long as you are used to what ever you are using, it doesn't matter what you use!!!! In the immortal words of my amigo Jake Kempton....R.I.P. if it is at the end of the barrel on a 223 and it has fairly large holes it is going to work! To be honest I can make almost any neutral brake work form a Michulek to a Lantak in less than 500 rounds by adjusting my hand position in off hand......the rest doesn't even matter as the carbine is rested or braced!  My preference is a Roller! But I can easily get by with anything! I do however detest some of these things as they are way too blasty for the return you get.