Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics question

1911vm

So I am totally new to the CO . And want to cut one of my guns. What size gun is better and why?  I see glock 17 cz sp01 a and etc. Why full size guns when the sight distance is  Irrelevant, as we are using a dot.  I have a 4in 9mm 1911. That I was thinking of , is that a bad choice? 

I only saw fill size CO guns at Mississippi Showdown. I don't see a lot of people winning with compact size CO guns

Edit - think I was looking at the old rules. Disregard what I said about the 1911

This is from idpa

1.1. Handguns permitted:

A. Handguns, associated modifications, restrictions, holsters, magazine carriers, calibers, start

condition, and division capacity shall be compliant with ESP Division requirements, except as it

relates to sights, lasers and overall weight.

B. Maximum weight including empty magazine will not exceed 45 ounces.

I do not necessarily mean compact. But my 1911 full size grip 4in barrel.  Glock 45 the same. I would think it be an advantage having a shorter lighter gun. But what do I know I never had one Lol 

I do not necessarily mean compact. But my 1911 full size grip 4in barrel.  Glock 45 the same. I would think it be an advantage having a shorter lighter gun. But what do I know I never had one Lol 
Personally, I think it'll be fine. Just saying the guy who won overall at my last state match used a full size 320 and the other top guys I saw had a full size ppq and a 34

The difference in weight between a 4" and 5" 1911 is going to negligible to your performance. The difference between a Glock 45 and a CZ Shadow 2 for Carry Optics is going to be greatly noticeable! But you're right, you're no longer looking at the difference in iron sight radius of a 4" versus 5" gun when you run a dot.

I like the bigger frame, longer barrel guns as a rule.

Some have gone with the g19size, but the g17 size is probably most popular in glocks.

Full size guns are what most in competition already have, so they either upgrade to optics or keep the same platform for familiarity.

In IDPA a 4" to 5" all steel 9mm with a dot will be good. 

The advantage of a 5" is reliablity, slightly less recoil and less powder to make PF.  The shorter barrel versions of the full size 1911's can get more finicky on feeding.

The newer 9mm proportioned 1911's may not be, but I have no experience with them.

The advantage of a sub 5" would be a little quicker transitions, but it's not a huge advantage.

I'd not cut the slide for a dot, but get an adaptor to replace the rear sight and shoot that for a while.