Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to 2011, need to adjust my grip!

ManOnTarget

Ive been shooting a p320 X5 in IDPA and USPSA Production and have really been enjoying it. After drooling over 2011s however I made the jump to an STI marauder. After a couple trips to the range I am really noticing how much I have to change my grip. On the X5 I "choke up" to try and get my hands as close to the bore access as possible. I have large hands so on the X5 I have been shooting with my support hand pointer finger covering the trigger guard. On my Marauder, I have had to be really cautious of my grip so as not to get my hands in the way of the slide. I have had some initial issues with slowing the slide down when I'm not careful even so far as to cut up the meat of my support hand on the slide. 

I am making progress through dry fire but if anyone can suggest some good resources for grip advice (hopefully with pictures) I would really appreciate it!

C

Parts wise you might consider a Nitro Fin, it has a ‘shield’ that will keep your support hand thumb off the slide. I resisted getting one for a while but tried a friend’s and was sold on it. If you don’t like that idea maybe some grip tape on the frame where your thumb should hit. I don’t have bear paws for hands but would occasionally feel the slide moving and thought might be a good index point if nothing else. 

I have worn a spot on my slide where my support hand thumb rides the slide. I’m not a fan of nitro fins but a lot of people like them as an index point.  I also grip over the trigger guard because I can get a little higher on the gun think. 

Grip the gun as hard as you can with both hands. Trigger finger hand go 95% strength on. If anyone says otherwise, run and here’s how you know they are full of s#!t. 

Go to the range and grip the gun as hard as possible and pay attention to how little the sights move. Then do it some other way and you will notice the sights move a lot more when you’re not gripping the gun like you’re trying to break it.  Think of gripping the gun like you’re trying to avoid it from recoiling. This will in-turn keep the sights from lifting as high as it could with a weak grip. 

Watch jerry miculeks video with iraqvwteran8888 on YouTube. Grip as high as possible and hold on as tight as you can. 

Edited by nikdanja

8 hours ago, nikdanja said:

I have worn a spot on my slide where my support hand thumb rides the slide. I’m not a fan of nitro fins but a lot of people like them as an index point.  

I have a similar spot worn on my slides finish from my thumb riding brushing it but I never felt like it was slowing the action and I never got bit. I avoided the Nitro for a while thinking it was just a add on widget but if you think about it your weak hand thumb doesn’t really do much to mitigate recoil unless you have something to push down against. It’s no substitute for a crushing grip but the thing I noticed is my major limited gun behaved much like my 9mm single stack in recoil. 

It sounds like the OP is on the right track by getting as high on the grip as possible but just needs to shift a thumb a little. 

If you distill the requirements for grip and trigger pull in this sport it is to be able to slap the s!@t out of the trigger without losing sight alignment and getting the gun back to where you started for the second shot ‘automatically’. Trying to crush your guns grip will help both dramatically. 

10 hours ago, nikdanja said:

I have worn a spot on my slide where my support hand thumb rides the slide. I’m not a fan of nitro fins but a lot of people like them as an index point.  I also grip over the trigger guard because I can get a little higher on the gun think. 

Grip the gun as hard as you can with both hands. Trigger finger hand go 95% strength on. If anyone says otherwise, run and here’s how you know they are full of s#!t. 

Go to the range and grip the gun as hard as possible and pay attention to how little the sights move. Then do it some other way and you will notice the sights move a lot more when you’re not gripping the gun like you’re trying to break it.  Think of gripping the gun like you’re trying to avoid it from recoiling. This will in-turn keep the sights from lifting as high as it could with a weak grip. 

Watch jerry miculeks video with iraqvwteran8888 on YouTube. Grip as high as possible and hold on as tight as you can. 

Do you find it's better to push/pull or to squeeze the gun on the left and right side with pressure from rotating your elbows? I've seen different people explain it different. Jerry claims it's a gold idea to use your support finger hooked on the trigger guard. A lot of other people say that its BS.

• 2 months later...