Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 1911 Division

GENE S

Here is one idea that might let everyone continue to turn in classifiers for L-10.

Talk to the host club and ask that anyone shooting SSD (only SSD) be allowed to shoot the classifier again and turn in that classifier for their L-10 score.

Personally I'd like my SSD scores to go in as L-10 anyway. I made Master with a SS, lets see if I will make GM with the same equipment.

Btw, can I shoot my 40 as minor and load 9 in the mag?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most classifiers are 8-round neutral. The only difference being the high hit factor.

I'll ask instead of diving into my rule book, because someone is bound to know the answer off the top of their head. At a level one match signed up in SS1911, can I pay and shoot an additional L10 classifier, or do I have to sign up and shoot "two guns" throughout the match?

Most classifiers are 8-round neutral. The only difference being the high hit factor.

I'll ask instead of diving into my rule book, because someone is bound to know the answer off the top of their head. At a level one match signed up in SS1911, can I pay and shoot an additional L10 classifier, or do I have to sign up and shoot "two guns" throughout the match?

It probably depends on your match director. Locally, it's usually allowed ---- unless a ton of people want/need to do it; shooter pays a few bucks to take care of USPSA fees. Some clubs charge a dollar or two on top of that for profit, others don't.....

I'll be the first to admit to a flagrant thread drift here;

In East Colorado we have prize points for our local matches, but most of them only pay out when 8 or more participate in a division. I can see a lot of people moving from L10 to SS, and quite a few from production may move over as well. There is no mag capacity in Colorado, so a lot of those shooting L10 do so to get some prize points, when the numbers for L10 drop below 8 at a match, they will switch to SS.

Just about everyone here has at least one 1911 single-stack laying around somewhere so who knows, we may get some more new shooters, we usually get at least 1-2 every month at various local matches, maybe we can get some more... :)

I hate to sound negative about Provisional Single Stack, I am not.

I feel the equipment rules for this division are just about prefect.

I have already made the decision to shoot in this division exclusively.

(Except in 3-gun, where I will continue to shoot a Limited pistol)

I really want PSS to work and will support it anyway I can, including shooting classifiers that don’t count for the next 3 years.

But I believe that if you use PSS classifiers as a measure of participation in this division it will not be accurate. Many new and IDPA cross over shooters will expect a current classification. They will shoot L10 classifiers to get an initial classification, and I bet many will continue to mark there classifiers as L10, USPSA will not even know they are shooting PSS.

Why archive outdated PSS classifiers to be used 3 years from now, when we can apply them to an L10 classification now and still keep count of there participation in PSS? ;)

Three Years is just too long a time to expect many shooters to go without a current classification.

Shooting multiple classifiers will work for some but is not even an option at many local clubs (including where I shoot).

How about a very simple fix here. If you are a U, you shoot as a U, if you have another class, OK, I'll say you shoot your highest IRON Sighted Class, only use Open if that is all you have. Shoot in SS. Accumulate and asign classifications in SS just as what happened in Prod when it first started. Only difference, flag the classifications and IF SS does not roll over into a permenent division, roll the classifiers into L-10 which is the nearest division to SS and in fact is essentially the same as to general equipment and type of firearm.

This way if we succeed, we have a base and we are encouraging the shooters to participate, if it does fail, the shooters have not lost three years. Since the division is not yet even officially probationary, we should be able to effect this minor chage to record keeping.

Doing this should keep eveyone happy and more importantly both encourage shooter participation and not penalize the shooters.

As to shooting two classifiers at a local match, we do it on occasion, but if all our L-10 Limited and potential SS shooters did this, it would slow our match to a crawl. we regularly run over 50 people through a club match and often approach 70! We simply do not have the daylight to run an additional 30 shooters twice on a stage.

Jim Norman

Edited by Jim Norman

How about a very simple fix here. If you are a U, you shoot as a U, if you have another class, OK, I'll say you shoot your highest IRON Sighted Class, only use Open if that is all you have. Shoot in SS. Accumulate and asign classifications in SS just as what happened in Prod when it first started. Only difference, flag the classificatoins and IF SS soes not roll over into a permenent divison, roll the classifiers into L-10 which is the nearest division to SS and in fact is essentially the same as to general equipment and type of firearm.

THis way if we succeed, we have a base and we are encouraging the shooters to participate, if it does fail, the shooters have not lost three years. Jim Norman

Man, I think that's a great idea.

My $.02 from a newish shooter: the classification system, if nothing else, if *fun*. Way fun. I'd have to wait *3 years* for classifiers I shoot under SS to become meaningful?

If this issue could be fixed, I would certainly shoot it instead of L-10, at least at certain clubs that are heavy into single-stack shooters to begin with.

I am willing to bet that in Jan of 2006 that there will be quit a few shooters in the division ( Single Stack, 1911) and I for one will be there for the fun of it all. And that is what it is all about. Just have some fun shooting.

Gene

The more I think about this, the more obvious the real solution becomes. If USPSA really wants to see if SS will get off the ground, they might as well classify shooters just as in any other division. Just use the Limited and L10 high hit factors for SS. If SS doesn't fly, just delete the division and the classifications. Guys who want to keep current in L10 can shoot a few classifiers along the way.

Edited by Ron Ankeny