Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comparing FP and HP bullets for a CZ Shadow 2

DIYguy

This question sort of crosses over in a couple categories but loading on a Dillon 650 so start here.

Been challenged working up loads to run in my new CZ Shadow 2 as the gun is REALLY picky about COAL and CBTO.

I've been loading Berry's 9mm 147gn FP bullets and running them through my M&P Pro Core for USPSA and NEVER had an issue. Switched to the CZ and discovered my previous loads will not chamber in the CZ. Learned about Europe and ball ammo and CZs and worked up new seating depths to work in the CZ.

Here's what I'm running into. My previous loads were set at 1.068 COAL. I use Federal Am Eagle 147 FP as my alternate ammo which I love and that tends to spec at 1.065. The CZ will run factory Fed AE all day long and loves it but I have to seat the Berry's down to 1.050 to 1.055 in order for it to chamber. Side by side comparison of the Berrys 147 FP and the Federal 147 FP and the angle of the bevel is different. The Federal is narrower and so it can seat longer and still chamber. The profile of the Berry's makes the seating depth REALLY picky and some loads in a batch will vary measure from 1.050 to1.060. 1.060 do not go into full battery even if the pass the case gauge test.

Long story to get to my question....

Lot of shooters seem to be using Hollow Point bullets even though they are a bit more expensive. I use flat point because they make nice holes, same for HP. I've been looking on line at the photos of the Berry's FP and side by side comparison of the HP and the HP appear to have slightly more rounded profile compared to the straight slant to the FP. Midway has 147gr Berry's HP available, box of (1,000). I've spent a LOT of time getting my recipe perfected for my 147gr loads, don't want to start over. I'm assuming 147gr is 147gr when it comes to load and velocity whether its FP or HP so my same recipe should work correct? Any other shooters using the HPs and know if they run better in the CZs?

It seems just a little bit if difference in bullet profile can make a big difference in how it chambers and wondering if that applies with the HPs744221.jpg.8af9f7567a4b54c5d4af3a5e40af41ab.jpg

163282.jpg

44 minutes ago, DIYguy said:

I'm assuming 147gr is 147gr when it comes to load and velocity whether its FP or HP so my same recipe should work correct?

No, not necessarily. 

You may get by with the same charge, if you adjust you're COAL accordingly (because the HP and FP will be different OALs).

I originally thought the deeper seating depth would make more of a difference in my load weight but was surprised it didn't. Same bullets seated at 1.068 using 4.5gr of Power Pistol are clocking at between 975 to 980 fps. Made up batches of new loads seated down to 1.055 and started at 4.1 and worked back up. Ended up even seated at 1.050 to 1.055 the same 4.5 charge gave me the same velocity.

6 minutes ago, DIYguy said:

Ended up seated at 1.050 to 1.055 the same 4.5 charge gave me the same velocity.

4.5 gr powder is very small amount, even in a tiny 9mm case.

Very little difference between OAL of 1.055" and 1.068" as far

as pressure of the load.  (and velocity).

Plus, depending on how many rounds you put thru the chrono, you

might have bit more velocity and less than you think.   Sample

size is also important, here.

When I chrono my loads (Labradar) I always do a minimum of ten rounds per string and a minimum of two strings per load. I then create a spread sheet of the  chrono data and then include that data with my master load data spread sheet. I tried to attach a PDF copy of one of the sheets, we'll see if it works.

Reloading Recipes-Pistol (CZ) 4-25-19.pdf

19 hours ago, DIYguy said:

Any other shooters using the HPs and know if they run better in the CZs?

It seems just a little bit if difference in bullet profile can make a big difference in how it chambers and wondering if that applies with the HPs

I load for several CZs (9mm, .40 & 9major) any bullet profile can be made to work. It's all about figuring out the optimal OAL for a particular bullet profile. 

FYI not all HP profiles are the same.  While working up a 9major load, I found that RMR and Precision Delta HPs required a different OAL to work in my pistol.