Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ethernet Modem

I have asked alot of stupid questions , but this one may take the cake.

I have an ethernet port on the back of my new machine and need to connect on a dial up connection.

Whats the best way to do this ?

Speak slowly, I am a computer idiot.

Travis F.

The best way is probably something called a 'residential gateway', but I'm not sure many (if any) are still made with modems built in.

Somewhere you need a modem. It can go (in roughly increasing cost order): in the PC, external to the PC via USB/serial/etc or in a residential gateway-type device.

The easiest to install will be the external modem. The most-featured (if you want to do networking) will be the gateway.

Are you sure your PC has no modem jack? A ton of them do.

An internal modem will run you about $15. If you can use a screwdriver, you can install it yourself.

Buy the modem. Read the directions. Youll either install the drivers/software (which will come with it on a CD) before or after you put the card in your machine. Just do what it says. To put the card in: turn off the computer, take the cover off, put the modem in the slot securing it with the screw, put the cover back on, turn the computer on.

It's really not hard.

Thanks all !

This old clunker ( PIII 773 MHZ ) was part of a network, and is an IPaq machine with no room for an internal modem. Funky case design, and lack of slots to plug in any cards.

I could go USB modem , but I have heard they suck. Do they ? Or would I even notice the difference over a dialup connection ?

I have no desire to network anything at all , ever .

I was thinking the Ethernet connection may be faster/better than USB ?

Does ADSL use a different type of " language " than standard dialup ?

If it has not been obvious , I do not want to spend $$$ on anything that won't shoot, hence the absolute cheapness and lack of sophistication in all areas technical .

I did just buy a Hastings Paradox slug barrel though ...

Must be a priority thing.

Travis F.

You need to use a standard phone line to connect right?

The ADSL throws me a little..

The speed of the dialup line is the limiter. A USB cable is way faster than the dialup could ever be and USB 2.0 is faster than most common networks anyway.

I prefer anythng USB over Serial (the other option). An external model is still cheap.

Please find a 12 year old, and quick ;)

Ethernet is not for dial-up. It is for networking using a RJ45 equiped ethernet cable. It may look like a phone cord, but it is not, it CAN NOT dial a phone #. If you are using Compaq of that vintage you might even have more expense getting a modem that will work. USB may suck, but it might be the only option you have on the cheap.

Apple makes Wintel control software for their AirPort base stations (free download from Apple) so it's possible to do this from PC town. Any of their full size AirPort base stations (not AirPort Express) has a modem built in and if you set them up to make a dialup connection, that connection can now be shared out of the Ethernet port and via WiFi.

The new AirPort Extreme base stations are $199, but if you look on ebay and places like smalldog.com and other Mac used gear resellers you can pick up the older Graphite series that are 802.11B only for about 50-75 buckeroo's.

--

Regards,

Ethernet is not for dial-up. It is for networking using a RJ45 equiped ethernet cable. It may look like a phone cord, but it is not, it CAN NOT dial a phone #. If you are using Compaq of that vintage you might even have more expense getting a modem that will work. USB may suck, but it might be the only option you have on the cheap.

D'OH !

Sounds like USB is the ticket.

I plan to buy a Pentium 4 3.0 GHZ system in about 10 years.

Maybe by then modems will be obsolete ?

The whole computer thing gives me headaches.

This forum makes the headaches tolerable.

Travis F.

Travis, USB to a modem is probably the way to go, but what OS are you running?

The USB support is present in Win 98SE, but it may be necessary to get extra drivers from the modem vendor. Possibly the extra software is included with the modem.

The later the OS, the better is the USB support. That may be why someone said Ethernet is better than USB. Ethernet has not changed and is pretty agnostic across OS vendors and versions. As was said, I have not seen a Ethernet modem in a while. US Robotics sold them in the consumer arena.

ADSL is confusing because it can share the same wires as dialup, however, the protocols ("language") and the the frequency bands are different. Using a TV analogy, dialup is channel 2 and ADSL is channels 3-13.

Lee

Your 12? I coulda sworn your voice was changing when I last talked to you, but that would make you 13. :lol: