Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have issues installing Taran +5/6 basepads for large glocks?

gundam83

I've been trying to install Taran +6 9mm basepads for my G17, and the spring seems barely too thick for the follower. It's a pain in the ass to push the spring behind the ridges that are supposed to hold it in place, but it just pops out. I don't want to resort to bending the spring with some pliers. I gave up and and just rested the follower on top of the spring and pushed it into the magazine body. I'm able to load it up (although the last round is super tight) and able to remove the rounds fairly freely (aside from the top round which requires a bit more force). I haven't had a chance to test the magazine yet, but I'm wondering if anyone else ran across this issue? I've tried 3 different Taran +6 basepads and the springs are all the same. The magazines are standard 17 rd G17 mags. 

Why don’t you want to bend the spring? If that’ What it takes do it. You’ll find that Taran’s springs for his 5,6 pads are a little weak. Use them for now but when they will no longer lock slide back switch to either ISMI, or Wolff. Leave them fully loaded for a few days and then the last round will seat a little easier. I don’t load to 23 if I have to reload, I usually download 1 round. But if starting I’ll load to 23+1.

You're just having trouble getting the follower to snap onto the spring, right? If so, that's common with many brands of springs where the follower doesn't snap on easily, not just TTI. You can try a different follower as sometimes one goes on easier than another. 

What I do when spring doesn't snap on follower easily is lay follower upside down on bench, put one side of spring under one of the tabs in follower, and then use a screwdriver to press other side of spring down under the other tab on follower. That always works for me.

37 minutes ago, rooster said:

Why don’t you want to bend the spring? If that’ What it takes do it. You’ll find that Taran’s springs for his 5,6 pads are a little weak. Use them for now but when they will no longer lock slide back switch to either ISMI, or Wolff. Leave them fully loaded for a few days and then the last round will seat a little easier. I don’t load to 23 if I have to reload, I usually download 1 round. But if starting I’ll load to 23+1.

Actually I tried, but didn't want to keep messing with it. Its kinda hard to get it just right. It's either a hair too big to hold in place, or a hair too small and it slips in and out and doesnt catch on the ears on the follower.

15 minutes ago, Southpaw said:

You're just having trouble getting the follower to snap onto the spring, right? If so, that's common with many brands of springs where the follower doesn't snap on easily, not just TTI. You can try a different follower as sometimes one goes on easier than another. 

What I do when spring doesn't snap on follower easily is lay follower upside down on bench, put one side of spring under one of the tabs in follower, and then use a screwdriver to press other side of spring down under the other tab on follower. That always works for me.

Yes it is. I had a G19 Taran basepad and that slipped on clicked into place effortlessly. Yeah I tried the screwdriver trick probably 50 times haha. The spring just pops out, even when I destroy my fingers getting it under the ears. 

I experienced the same thing installing my new TTI's yesterday.  I could tweak them enough to get the follower on but it would pop right off unless I would compress a few coils and hold it for a 10-20 seconds.  That seemed to make it hold long enough to get it back in the mag tube and get things back together.  I figure they will be good to go after a little use.

• 3 weeks later...