Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger PCC concerns

On 3/11/2019 at 1:08 PM, dauntedfuture said:

I have a new-sih Ruger PCC that I run alongside my limited gun for USPSA.  I have not done much to the rifle; it does have upgraded trigger and trigger stop as well as muzzle device.  I have reoccurring issues where the bolt appears to go fully into battery and I get a click-not-bang, racking the bolt feeds new round and chambered round does not eject.  The extractor did not catch the rim of the case.  The result is a double feed.  There is no light hit at all, zero, none... on the "original round"  all ammo is checked on case gauge

Question: What if anything have people done in terms of cleaning/ polishing extractors or bolts etc?

Jon

I had the exact same issues with a new ruger pc9. 8 different types of 9mm factory ammo, plus I was getting 4"-6" groups at 50 yds.

Sent it back to ruger and they replaced barrel, barrel block, barrel block screws, bolt, bolt head. Got it back in under 2 weeks.

Accuracy better, mostly 2" groups at 50.

----BUT---- After 40 rds or so, the bolt locked up tight, could not be pulled to the rear. Took the trigger pak out at the range, bolt would slide quite easily, no problem.

Trigger pak back in, locked up tight.

Back to ruger, going on 4 weeks now, curious as to the problem, and if it's a problem for many.

On 3/16/2019 at 2:34 PM, IronicTwitch said:

Primary issue is click-no-bang, no mark on primer.  

Secondary issue is the lack of extraction and subsequent double feed.

My guess is the extractor isn't clearing the rim on the click-no-bang round.  Maybe clean around that extractor part and check for burrs that would keep the bolt from fully going into battery when a round is chambered.  Might be getting hung up on magazine feed lip. Not sure how far out of battery will still allow the trigger to drop the hammer...talking 1/8" or less so it will be tough to find the culprit.

Agree with this comment. If hammer is falling without marking the primer at all, something, probably the forward face of the extractor, is keeping the bolt face / firing pin far enough away from the the primer so it doesn't mark it. Does the gun still have the standard recoil spring installed? is it in good shape?

• 3 weeks later...

I ran into this problem a number of times last year. After crashing and burning on a few stages because of FTE I concluded that it was due to my change in bullets. I had switched to Precision 147gr bullets from BBI 147gr bullets. My suspicion is in the difference in the ogive the Precision bullet is (at times but not always) hitting lans and not going fully into battery. I switched to factory 124gr and had no issues. I ran the BBI 147gr the previous year without any issues.