Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light strikes on an upper

Paul-the new guy

I have a matched receiver set that I did a form 1 on and turned into a .300BO SBR. It has a drop in trigger. I have put 6-700 rounds through it and it has run fine. I put together another upper using a VLTOR upper and with that upper I get light strikes. I thought it was the trigger, I pulled it out and it had some debris in it but upon reassembly it is still acting up. Could the mismatch receiver set be the issue?

On 2/24/2019 at 8:00 AM, mpeltier said:

Is the  Vltor upper 300 BO? What trigger? What buffer weight? Have you verified headspace?

The .300 BO upper is Devil Dog and it came as a set with the lower.  It has always run 100% but round count is 5-600 at most. 99% suppressed. Trigger is and older ELF Tactical and it has been in this lower since day 1. The Vltor upper is .223 it has had 2 barrels, the first one was a Faxon and it had the issue the new barrel that I just installed has a properly headspaced bolt.  I just changed out the ELF trigger for an AR Gold that I pulled out of another rifle.  I have only fired about 20 rounds but so far no issues.  Seems weird that it could be the trigger

The .300 BO upper is Devil Dog and it came as a set with the lower.  It has always run 100% but round count is 5-600 at most. 99% suppressed. Trigger is and older ELF Tactical and it has been in this lower since day 1. The Vltor upper is .223 it has had 2 barrels, the first one was a Faxon and it had the issue the new barrel that I just installed has a properly headspaced bolt.  I just changed out the ELF trigger for an AR Gold that I pulled out of another rifle.  I have only fired about 20 rounds but so far no issues.  Seems weird that it could be the trigger

Not sure about the elf tactical but their 3gun and match triggers have set screws that need to be cranked down pretty tight then locked in with the lock screws. From their FAQ....”Q: After installing my Elf Trigger I’m getting intermittent primer strikes that look like the firing pin is barely tapping the primer and will not ignite the round.

A: 99% of the time this issue is caused by incorrect installation. Whether anti-walk pins are used or not, the set screws on the inside of the trigger body must be firmly seated against your receiver floor. It is absolutely critical that these screws are seated firmly. Turn one side until it’s barely snug then tighten the other side and alternate so pressure is evenly distributed. We now include a steel floor plate to protect your receiver – optional in aluminum receivers but required for polymer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, MJinPA said:

Not sure about the elf tactical but their 3gun and match triggers have set screws that need to be cranked down pretty tight then locked in with the lock screws. From their FAQ....”Q: After installing my Elf Trigger I’m getting intermittent primer strikes that look like the firing pin is barely tapping the primer and will not ignite the round.

A: 99% of the time this issue is caused by incorrect installation. Whether anti-walk pins are used or not, the set screws on the inside of the trigger body must be firmly seated against your receiver floor. It is absolutely critical that these screws are seated firmly. Turn one side until it’s barely snug then tighten the other side and alternate so pressure is evenly distributed. We now include a steel floor plate to protect your receiver – optional in aluminum receivers but required for polymer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went trough all of that.  I used regular pins, I torqued the set screws like crazy with a T-Handle wrench.  All of the rounds were suppressed so both times I took it out it was FILTHY.  The first time it had some debris in it and I really thought that was the issue. ::shrug::