Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Ammo

Mover480

Okay, again I don't shoot steel challenge but I do USPSA and ICORE and know USPSA and Steel Challenge are allied so figured they'd interpret the rules similarly. 

From the SC rule book: "Minimum bullet caliber / cartridge case length.38 cal. / 9x19 mm."

I think the word "minimum" protects Short Colt users. .38 is technically a .357 diameter bullet, .02 larger than 9 mm (.355). Volume and length-wise, the short colt case is slightly larger than 9x19 (.765 mm vs. .754 mm) so one could argue that you're above the minimum cartridge length particularly since Short Colt is typically loaded longer (I load SC 1.19 inches). So by either measure, Short Colt is larger than the minimum and legal.

Another question I have is why someone would want to shoot Steel Challenge with Short Colt? My understanding is that reloads are typically not on the clock. So why not just shoot .38 special if a speedy extraction (my experience in the advantage of short colt) isn't needed?

6 hours ago, Mover480 said:

The concern is that the rules say a minimum cartridge of 38 special, not minimum caliber of 38.  So, has anyone shot short colt in a sanctioned SC match?

I've help run 3 WSSC matches and multiple tier 3 and tier 2 matches and not once has anyone ever gone up to a competitor and asked to see what ammo they are shooting. Tell me how we need to revise the rules so that there's no ambiguity regarding Short Colt. 

8 hours ago, mchapman said:

Minimum cartridge for centerfire  competitions will be 9x19 or 38 caliber ? Maybe some derivative of this.

See my post above. What I’ve quoted is literally copy and pasted from the steel challenge rule book in the equipment requirements for revolver .

14 hours ago, ZackJones said:

I've help run 3 WSSC matches and multiple tier 3 and tier 2 matches and not once has anyone ever gone up to a competitor and asked to see what ammo they are shooting. Tell me how we need to revise the rules so that there's no ambiguity regarding Short Colt. 

The Revolver equipment section Appendix H5 gives the minimum caliber of 38 with the minimum cartridge case length of 9x19.  No problem here for Short Colt.  The problem is in the ammunition Section 4.1 where it states the minimum cartridge for centerfire competitions is both 38 Special and 9x19.   Just remove the 38 Special from Section 4.1 and it will be consistent with the equipment requirement in Appendix H5 (and all the other equipment Appendices too).

Note that for PCC equipment Appendix H9, it lists accepted calibers.  The list is actually cartridges, not calibers.

9 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

See my post above. What I’ve quoted is literally copy and pasted from the steel challenge rule book in the equipment requirements for revolver .

I understand that, What I wrote was something that Zack Jones might look at and see if it may help clarify, He was asking for suggestions I think. Also Mover480's suggestion of removing 38 special from sec. 4.1 will also work.

On 2/18/2019 at 1:28 PM, Mover480 said:

There is no PF in SC.

The concern is that the rules say a minimum cartridge of 38 special, not minimum caliber of 38.  So, has anyone shot short colt in a sanctioned SC match?

You are correct but I was referring to USPSA, guess I didn't make it clear.

Yes I've shot several Tier 2 Steel Challenge matches with 38 short colts and no issues and I'm sure most of those that shot the Nationals with Revolvers were shooting 38 Short Colts.

But if you are uncomfortable just use Starline 38 Specials for your Steel Loads, I say Starline as they have the same rim/extractor cut dimensions as 38 short colt and 357 magnum.

So they work with the good tight moon clips sold by TK and Hearthco that we use for 38 short colts.

Now IDPA is a stickler on NO 38 short colts.

Edited by pskys2

7 hours ago, ZackJones said:

Thanks for the feedback. I will work with HQ to get this corrected in the next rule change. Fear not shooting short colt. No one will question you and if they do tell them the Steel Challenge flunky said it's okay :).

🤩 you the man for us OCD types!  I'm still trying to be normal.