Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Revolver Shooter

Walt S

I'm new this year to Speed Steel and IPSC. Classified D with my 4303 S&W 40 cal. However, I'm interested in more revolver shooting as my friend Jerry is helping me along. I shot my S&W 620 at Coeur D'Alene throught the Spokane Practical Pistol League this past Saturday. Met a nice group of people and had fun shooting with them. THANKS Bill Sahlberg, I'd be willing to drive the 1,000 miles to do it again.

Now looking to get better through much practice and help from everyone with my 620. Have been shooting major, but find it takes more time to get back on the target. Have loaded 158 gr SWC with 4.3 grs of Bullseye. Great pattern from the bench. Understand I need to go to round nose plated as they will load fast with my speed loaders. WHO EVER SAID speed loaders are speedy ?????? :wacko:

Looking forward to joining the wheel gunners. ;)

Welcome aboard Walt. And good luck.

Glad you met Bill he is a fantastic guy and I always enjoed shooting with him in the past. He can give you more hints than you can imagine.

For steel you definately don't need major loads. Try to figure out something that will give you a power factor of about 135 to 140 and you should be able to knock down any pepper popper you come across.

(135000 / 158 =854fps).

Speed loaders work fine if you have the right kind. I don't know if you can get Safariland for the 620 but that is the way to go. The Comp IIIs are fast. Six Second reloaders, the kind you have to twist for the bullets to come out are slow. They may save your life in a pinch but they are not for speed shooting.

Have fun. Talk to Bill about ICORE.

Walt,

Glad you have chosen the way of the wheel !!!!!

Glad to have you, you are a member of: "The few The proud the WHEELGUNNERS" :):)

good luck with it.

Hopalong

Also ask as much and as often as you need, there are some pretty good revolver shooters here.......Just don't get to smoking their butts too soon or they will not give you any more advice. ;)

Don't you feel better now Walt? I knew you were really a wheelgunner all this time. Looks like we've doubled Revolver Div. at Tri-Co now, just need to work on the other "closet" wheelgunners there.

Walt, to get you started with something better than the 620 (for IPSC) I'll let you borrow my modified 66 (bobbed hammer, trigger stop & DAO), 7 CompIII speedloaders & 200 plated 158gr RN 38spl loads to use at our next IPSC match. I still hope to meet you at the range Friday, you can give it a try then and take it home with you to practice.

Welcome to Revolver Division :D

----- Jerry

Don't you feel better now Walt? I knew you were really a wheelgunner all this time. Looks like we've doubled Revolver Div. at Tri-Co now, just need to work on the other "closet" wheelgunners there.

THANKS GUYS, I didn't expect this kind of reception. YES, I'll ask questions as that is the first step in learning. More questions after the week-end, I'm sure.

Thanks again and I'll work hard at doing a good job. :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard Walt.  And good luck.   

Glad you met Bill he is a fantastic guy and I always enjoed shooting with him in the past.  He can give you more hints than you can imagine.

For steel you definately don't need major loads.  Try to figure out something that will give you a power factor of about 135 to 140 and you should be able to knock down any pepper popper you come across.

(135000 / 158 =854fps).

Speed loaders work fine if you have the right kind.  I don't know if you can get Safariland for the 620 but that is the way to go.  The Comp IIIs are fast.  Six Second reloaders, the kind you have to twist for the bullets to come out are slow.  They may save your life in a pinch but they are not for speed shooting.

Have fun.  Talk to Bill about ICORE.

Welcome aboard Walt.  And good luck.   

Glad you met Bill he is a fantastic guy and I always enjoed shooting with him in the past.  He can give you more hints than you can imagine.

For steel you definately don't need major loads.  Try to figure out something that will give you a power factor of about 135 to 140 and you should be able to knock down any pepper popper you come across.

(135000 / 158 =854fps).

Speed loaders work fine if you have the right kind.  I don't know if you can get Safariland for the 620 but that is the way to go.  The Comp IIIs are fast.  Six Second reloaders, the kind you have to twist for the bullets to come out are slow.  They may save your life in a pinch but they are not for speed shooting.

Have fun.  Talk to Bill about ICORE.

:o Learning fast. I had intended to use my Model 10 for IPSC and the 620 for Speed Steel. Now I know I should stick with one gun and concentrate on getting good with it. Now planning on using my tunned Model 10 for both, or maybe a 66. Tride Comp-III loaders today and what a difference. And NO, they don't make COMP-III for the 7 round 620. Shooting IPSC I'd have to load seven and shot 6 or load six and shoot six. Sooooooo, don't think I'll be concentration on the 620.