Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 sear and hammer jigs?

vgdvc

I have a TR Jig, Power Custom, and the Ed Brown. They all work fine but I find myself using the Ed Brown more than the others. I consistently get triggers that are between 1.5 and 1.75lbs for my 2011s without to much fuss.

I think the big issue with the Ed Brown jig is the instructions are not good for getting the correct angle on the primary (it may work on their sear?) I ended up measuring the distance from end of Jig to center of sear pin, now I can adjust the sear so it is in the correct place to stone at the angle I want by measuring from the end of jig to the sear nose. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/16/2019 at 9:53 PM, vgdvc said:

Hello. Does anyone out there have recommendations for a good sear and or hammer jig for prepping 1911 trigger components. I'm considering the Ed Brown sear jig to use in tandem with the Brownells hammer file and polishing stones. Advice is certainly appreciated ,thank you.

Years ago when I started doing 1911 trigger work, I went with the Powers jig.  I didn't like it because I wasn't getting even cuts on the primary angle. I took Bob Marvel's class, and all I use now is his jig.  I sold my Powers jig.  Maybe there was just something wrong with the one I had because a lot of people recommend Powers.

2 hours ago, CSEMARTIN said:

Years ago when I started doing 1911 trigger work, I went with the Powers jig.  I didn't like it because I wasn't getting even cuts on the primary angle. I took Bob Marvel's class, and all I use now is his jig.  I sold my Powers jig.  Maybe there was just something wrong with the one I had because a lot of people recommend Powers.

Thanks for the input. I bought a TR jig in anticipation of using it. I may still in the future but the EGW components I used needed minimal prep,good hook heights etc. I polished everything,cut the secondary sear angle a little bit more, put the slightest bit of round to it and with a 15 lb mainspring have a nice 2.25lb break with slightest roll which I prefer. I will disassemble after another 500 rounds or so to make sure all the wear marks looks even.

• 4 years later...

This is the primary angle using my Marvel jig. 

I have been looking for a hammer hook jig made by a guy named Charlie Franks, but I can’t find him.

Does anyone here know anything about this guy or his jig?

IMG_9028.jpeg