Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.355 Or .356 For 38 Super?

BigDave

Doesn anyone here know what the bore of Kart's 38 Super barrels are?

For you accuracy nuts out there - are most 38 Super barrels .355 or .356? Or, do people buy .355 barrels with unfinished chambers and ream to 38 Super?

Dave,

Most barrels today are .355. It's alot easier that way. They can make a whole mess of .355 barrels and use them for all the 9mm variations.

Kart barrels come already chambered. I would suggest getting a 9mm and have your gunsmith ream it to 38 Super. I use a Kart in my open gun and have been very satisfied with the accuracy.

Some bullet makers claim to make a .356 bullet and you may find that it works better than a .355. The Hornady HAP was originally a .356 but they can't seem to make up their mind lately. I think Zero still carries one.

Kevin

Bigdave

I have 2 .38 supers with Kart barrels in them. They are old (read 13 years old). They are .356 dia. I used .356 jacketed bullets and .357 or .358 lead bullets. Used to lead like crazy until I slugged it and got .357 dia. I heard that the dimensions were changed when .38 super got popular again. Just my experience.

Heebs

• 4 weeks later...
Dave,

Some bullet makers claim to make a .356 bullet and you may find that it works better than a .355. The Hornady HAP was originally a .356 but they can't seem to make up their mind lately.

Kevin

I had boxes of HAP bullets marked .356 and another marked .355 - but if you put a micrometer on them, they are exactly the same.