Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load Data For Jp Ctr-02, 1/9, 18"barrel

tpe187

I pick up my CTR-02 tomorrow and I want to start loading for it. I'm looking for some pet loads for this particular setup. Ideally, a close range load and a long range load. I've got a TA01 ACOG on it with the JP reticle and by long range I mean 300-400 meters.

I have 500pcs of Winchester virgin brass, 500 69 SMK's and 300 Nosler 55gr BT. I have winchester primers, but I can get CCI's pretty quickly. I will be loading at least the close in stuff on a Dillon 650. I might load the long range stuff on a single stage. Not sure yet. Even if you aren't using these components, tell me what your rifle seems to like. Thanks

Tom

AA and WW load manual available here:

http://www.3gunrules.com/documents/multi-g...oading_data.pdf

http://www.3gunrules.com/documents/multi-g...oading_data.pdf

The Sierra 69 loaded to 2.245" OAL will work fine over the following charges:

26.5 AA 2520

24.5 AA 2230

24.5 Varget

25.0 WW 748

The Nosler loaded to 2.230" to 2.240" OAL over the following charges will do fine:

27.0 AA 2520

25.5 AA 2230

25.5 Varget

27.0 WW 748

Don't forget to size the new brass before loading it. Just because it's new doesn't mean it will fit. Also make sure you get a JP ammo check gauge. If it gravity drops into and out of the gauge, it will chamber in the JP, if not, maybe not ;-)

The 650 will load any rifle ammo fine, no need to single stage it. WW primers are all that I use in any rifle loading I do.

The loads listed are under Max, you should just load a few at just under the suggestions and test over a chronograph and work up to a proper velocity in your rifle before cranking out volume. You want to see 3050 to 3125 fps for the 55gr and 2750 ish maybe 2800 for the SMK 69er.

There really is no such thing as just plain duplicating a recipe load and getting the best/safest results, but if you want that, then my recommendation is:

27.5 gr of AA2520, or WW748 under the 55 at 2.235" OAL

24.5 gr of Varget under the SMK 69 at 2.245" OAL

resize the cases using a Dillon .223 die until they fit the JP gauge perfectly, trim to 1.75" OAL, chamfer and debur case mouth and you will assuredly get great ammo with the above recipes.

**I do not make the claim that my load data is safe for anyone else. Use at your own risk**

Congrats on owning one fine piece of rifle.

--

Regards,

I have a 16" and a 20" DPMS barreled uppers that are 1x9.

My 20" likes:

Win 55 FMJBT with 26 grains A2230C --- around 1MOA (16" does not like this load. 2+ MOA with the 16".)

69 SMK or 69 Nosler CC with 25.7-8 Varget --- less than MOA

My 16" likes:

55 FMJBT Sierra Game King with 26 grains A2230C --- under MOA (20" does not like this load)

69 SMK and 69 Nosler CC with 25.7-8 Varget --- less than MOA

I haven't really tested it extensively. But I've had really bad results with Remington BR primers. OK/good results with Scharch primed brass using WSR. And the best results of the three with Federal SR seated by moi.

I've been shooting a load I got from JP.

When I was looking into getting a new AR, I looked at a JP and asked someone from that shop questions about the accuracy of his rifles. Additionally, I asked what load would be recommend for the 69 gr. The answer was 24.5 grs VV140. I have tried that and VV135 (same volume on Dillon gives 23.8 which I used). Both have given sub-moa in 2 different ARs, one 24", one 16".

• 4 weeks later...

i may be the odd one out, but i use H4198 in my 223 loads.

i believe 20.0 grains and a 60 grain sierra, or hornady.

Federal small rifle primers.

i shoot these in mini 14...not real concerned with bench rest accuracy...they are all "minute of coyote"

tried win 748...wasnt too impressed with it...settled on 4198 because of the low charge weight and it was significantly cleaner than the winchester product...

when i use all that stuff up, i can see me buying a couple 8 pound kegs of that accurate arms data powder for 5.56 and 7.62 nato...just because its cheap.

accurate 79 data powder

69 dollars for 8 pounds or 120 dollars for 16 pounds...it says it works in the 06 springfield, and 22-250

Harmon

Edited by harmongreer

BTW, if you get the SMK 69 going near 2800, it will do a fine job to 400 meters in a 1:9 barrel and be a very good close range load too. Zero it at 200 yds and the JP reticle will be dead on with it to 300+ yards (reticle is calibrated in yds) and it will also be dead on at 40 yards. After 300yds the 69 will be a tad high because the reticle was actually calibrated for a SMK 77 in a 1:8 bbl at 2700 fps.

Nothing lighter than a 69er will track the JP TA-01 reticle very well after about 250 yards so I really would use the 69 across the board just for the KISS factor. Another good thing about handloading the SMK 69 to 2800 fps is that Federal and Black Hills both make a load with the SMK 69 that moves out at the same V. This means that in a pinch, you have a commercial ammo source that will shoot MOA and to same POI as your handload in your rifle.

For ease of metering and lowest cost, I would recommend the AA 2520 powder route for the SMK 69. It's a ball powder so it runs through the Dillon measure nicely. It has good bulk so it is nearly a full case at 25+ grains (full case loads of powder are a lot better accuracy choice that lesser volume powders). And it's cheaper than VV and Varget.

BTW, BTW, The progressive will load sub MOA rifle ammo just fine, no need to single stage it unless you are a glutton for punishment ;-)

--

Regards,

Edited by George

ill second the 69 grain match kings.

i have never seen a sierra bullet that doesnt shoot good.

26.0 grains IMR 4320 and the 69smk get me just over 2775 fps out of my mini14

it takes 27.5 of the winchester 748 to do the same.

i believe 4198 is too fast for anything over say a 62 grain bullet.

as for accuracy, good ammo would group about 2.5 inches at 100 yds. ball military ammo 4-5. some of the cheaper russian stuff is all over the place.

for cheap ammo, the wolf 55 grain hollow points shoot better than winchester 5.56

harmon

Well, finally got to the range today. First time its been open since Huricane Rita hit here. I worked up some loads using Varget, Win Brass, Win Primers and 69gr SMK's. Not too bad for the first batch. My first time at the range I was just burning up some left over .223 I had lying around, about 100rds worth. So the rifle is just slightly broken in.

For this trip I was seeing an avg of 2750 with 25.4 gr of Varget loaded out to 2.265. Slightly longer than I wanted because I didn't check after all the stations were filled. It was on a dillon 650 and I was going for 2.26 as per the Sierra maual.

I'm getting SD's of 11 or lower, so I"m happy with the consistency. Temp was 91 degrees. The groups I was getting were between .50 and .75 at 100yds. I'm happy with those for now, but I will try a few more powder weights and then try Viht N140. Then I will work on the 55 NBT's. Thanks for all your help

Tom

Go for a 2.245" OAL average at the longest with the SMK 69. With a 2.26" average, you will get mag stiction sooner or later. Not fun. The variance you will see when measuring is OK because the hollow point tips are not consistant. Just go for an average.

My SMK 69 load over Varget is 24.5 gr for 2700ish at 2.240" average OAL. This is plenty of PF downrange and at the muzzle brake and it works better with my JP reticle way downrange as the slower V makes the trajectory at 300 yards a good bit closer to the SMK 77 gr at 2750ish fps which is what the JP-01 reticle is actually calibrated for (you should use a 1:8 barrel for the 77 though).

--

Regards,

Edited by George