Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Black nitride refinishing

currahee1911

1 hour ago, Qbert said:

So if I have the slide of my hand-fitted 1911 nitrided after being direct milled for a red dot, will the slide to frame fit (which is currently a perfect, no-movement smooth and tight fit) be affected in a negative way?  Like will the fit be too tight so it binds or loosen up?  I'm in AZ, so I'm sure my gunsmith will be using H&M.

I have had external splines on nitrided shafts take the go gage before nitriding and not take it (because of material growth making the space between teeth smaller) after nitriding.  On that job we had to make a bunch of splined stubs, measure the space between teeth between pins, nitride them, and measure again to get an idea of growth so that we could machine the splines oversized to a new go gage so that spacing between teeth would tighten up during nitriding.

The growth was a few 1/10,000 of an inch but enough to screw the fit of a precision assembly.  Whether that will happen to your pistol depends on the clearance (not tolerance) of mating parts, the actual steel alloy, and several variables of the nitriding process.  The longer the parts are exposed to the nitriding gas or salts the more nitrogen diffuses into the steel and the more it grows

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 12/5/2022 at 1:31 PM, echotango said:

$50 if you are a walk-in. 

You local too?

they did a complete Bergara rifle for me tip to tang a little over a year ago for $100 out the back door and it came out beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...

H&M/BlackNitride did tighten up some of the tolerances on a gun that I had sent to them, and did make a firing pin hole tight enough where a couple strokes with a file were required, but I consider it a feature not a bug.