Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caliber Changes on Dillon 650

I've had my 650 for about 3 years now.  Loaded about 20k rounds of 9mm on it (I haven't been shooting as much) but plan on upping my counts more this year.  I also am reloading 223 on turret using as single stage (uggggh) and just picked up a 40 and started that up on my Lee turret as well (test loads being fired hopefully Saturday).

I don't shoot a ton of 223 (about 1500 rounds a year) but working on stock piling 5-6k.  I'm sure I will be shooting about 3-5k of 40 over the year now.  Is it worth it to setup my 650 for both?  I don't see myself buying the Dillon trimmer for 223 if I do at the volume I reload (using a WFT trimmer right now).

I'm kind of intimidated by the caliber changes as I haven't done them before...hell I haven't done any maintenance other than screwing my priming arm back in as it started to back out on the 650.  My other thought was picking up a 550 so I don't have to touch my 650 and just leave that for 9mm (but obviously more money).

Do I just need to suck it up and give it a go?  I watched a few videos on YouTube it doesn't look that hard but quite a few steps.  If I do I probably will load up the 10k worth of 9mm projectiles under my bench first before messing with the press.

Edited by JohnnyD

Once you do it the first time it is easy after that. The calibers you mention are all small primer so this also cuts out a few steps. After a few times you can knock the conversion out in about 5min each. Certainly less than 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your changeovers don't include a primer size change (you won't change primer size if you load .223 and 40 cal) the caliber changeover is pretty simple (less than 5 min. after you have done it once). Change the shell plate/case slide, locator pins (9mm and .223 use the same pins), adjust the case insert block, and change the casefeed adapter/body bushing/arm bushing.  The caliber change on a 650 is pretty simple and straight forward.