Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FNG here, would like some pistol advice

reddirt

Hay fellas, I'd like to get a little advice on a nice pistol. I'm not a competitive shooter, I was years ago, just don't want to spend the time now. But I know guys that compete know guns, that's why I'm here. I'm sure I'm older than most of you, 65, but I still like to send a few hundred down range on a nice day. Lately I've been downsizing, my thinking is sell 3 or 4, and buy 1 nice one. This is what I'm after, a really nice to shoot 9mm, cause the ammo is cheap, something smooth, nice trigger, something to be proud of. I'm a big fan of Tanfoglio's, and I'm looking at a Stock  3, or a Stock 3 Extreme, or a Limited Custom, something along those lines, but it doesn't have to be a Tanfoglio. A couple months back a dealer in town had one of those manufacturer rep shows and I rented  one of those Sig P210's, shot very nice, felt great, I've never been a Sig fan, kinda bulky, but would consider that pistol. I would welcome suggestions, advice, idea's. I figure my budget would be 2500. Thanks for any help.

Well, I'm 74 years old, you young whippersnapper.     😇

If you're not going to be competing, why not a very nice .22 semi-auto pistol ?

And, I wouldn't rule out the optic sight so easily, now that you're  middle aged.     :) 

If it is going to be a 9mm (great choice, BTW, I'm going all 9mm myself), you

are in the right ballpark with the guns you've mentioned.

Unless you're thinking of carrying one of them - if you have CCW, you

should be thinking more of a plastic gun - I like the S&W M&P Compact

in 9mm, with a laser sight     :wub:

All very personal - and depends on what exactly you're planning on doing

with the gun.     :) 

Welcome to the forums!

The Tanfo's are nice, but most of them will take a bit of work to get them "really nice". For "really nice"  pretty much right out of the box, look at the CZ's...a Shadow SP01, a P09, P10, or a Tactical Sport Orange. They are not gonna need the polishing and parts that the Tanfo would. And, after all, the Tanfo is basically a copy of the CZ.

Good luck in your quest!

18 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Well, I'm 74 years old, you young whippersnapper.     😇

If you're not going to be competing, why not a very nice .22 semi-auto pistol ?

And, I wouldn't rule out the optic sight so easily, now that you're  middle aged.     :) 

If it is going to be a 9mm (great choice, BTW, I'm going all 9mm myself), you

are in the right ballpark with the guns you've mentioned.

Unless you're thinking of carrying one of them - if you have CCW, you

should be thinking more of a plastic gun - I like the S&W M&P Compact

in 9mm, with a laser sight     :wub:

All very personal - and depends on what exactly you're planning on doing

with the gun.     :) 

Thanks for the reply, I hope I'm still shooting at 74, salute. Well, I have a M41 Smith for rimfire, and I love to shoot it, but sometimes you just want a little more. As far as optics, I've tried them, and they make sense, and I'm sure that's what I should be doing, but I should also be exercising, eating better, and drinking less. For carry guns I like the Kahrs, and I do go with plastic. I think what I'm after is like having a nice hot rod or bike in the garage, and taking it out on a nice afternoon or evening.

15 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

Welcome to the forums!

The Tanfo's are nice, but most of them will take a bit of work to get them "really nice". For "really nice"  pretty much right out of the box, look at the CZ's...a Shadow SP01, a P09, P10, or a Tactical Sport Orange. They are not gonna need the polishing and parts that the Tanfo would. And, after all, the Tanfo is basically a copy of the CZ.

Good luck in your quest!

Thank you. I've had my share of CZ's, I still have an old CZ Champion, I just never could warm up to that poly coat finish, that's how I got started on Tanfoglio's. So are you saying that the Tanf'os need  work? Even the higher end ones? I was hoping they might be more of a custom shop thing. I'll take a look at the CZ's, thanks for that.

9 hours ago, reddirt said:

Thank you. I've had my share of CZ's, I still have an old CZ Champion, I just never could warm up to that poly coat finish, that's how I got started on Tanfoglio's. So are you saying that the Tanf'os need  work? Even the higher end ones? I was hoping they might be more of a custom shop thing. I'll take a look at the CZ's, thanks for that.

I don't have a Tanfo, but from the threads on the forum, yeah, they need some work. I do have several CZ's though. A custom shop Shadow, a TSO, and a P07. 

Cz does have Stainless guns...

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-b-9mm-high-polished-stainless-16-rd-mags/

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-75-b-9mm-matte-stainless-16-rd-mags/

Although these are not custom shop guns, they would require very little work (if any) to be great shooters.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:40 PM, dapribek said:

What about a gently used  9mm STI? They’re pretty common in the classifieds and are really well made.

I just went to the STI site, those are nice. I'm going to check those out. Is that a design that STI came up with?

16 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Oh.   I see.

Then, your only option is a Browning Hi-Power P35 in 9mm customized

by EGW with a Bomar sight, Barsto barrel, beavertail, a crisp 3 lb

trigger and magwell.     :)

BHP.jpg

What's funny is I've been looking at some BHP's on Gunbroker, I haven't fired one in 40 years. Maybe it's time