Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TSO Safety

Mack19

Why is the TSO safety so far forward to the point where you have to change your grip or trip it off with your support thumb? If you have small hands its so hard to get use to that when you have been trained to trip safeties with your other grip thumb. I love my TSO but when I draw I miss the safety 50% of the time and cost me so much time in competition. I do have the big role safety but its not the width is the location so far forward for short thumbs. Does anyone have a fix for this?

Yeah I have that safety its so hard to start over again with a 1911 safety I am .80 out of the holster but TSO 1.4 maybe 1.3. if I am lucky. It makes so much lose of time after 105 draws in competition it really add more time.

The CZC extended safety is awesome and the fulcrum on/off it allows is one of my favorite things about my TSO. It might not work with very short thumbs though. Honestly though, I don't feel that the stock safety position is particularly far forward. My wife has weird midget hands and she can work it ok. Could it maybe be your grip?

Edit: sorry you posted that right when I did. 

Edited by Blockader

Yeah If I reposition my grip more to the left of the grip I'm okay its just after years of doing it the same way all that time it really slows me down. In steel challenge I ran a 2.4 on smoke &hope with a 1911 but with a TSO its around 3.0 so its going to be a lot of practice for sure. But I know its worth it because my TSO is a tack driver and 1.5 lb trigger is awesome. 

Your TSO is probably also almost 1/4 pound heavier than your 1911 was you used previously. There is some time lost in moving that much more weight around until you get used to it.

I know it gets people all goofy, but are you taking the safety off as soon as possible in your draw stroke? Waiting to do it at the end, with the gun in front of your face, grip finalized and sights aligned is far far to late in the process.

But I don't shoot that kind of gun in steel challenge, I average around 2.6 for smoke and hope with my Prod set up. Since that is a reference point you used in your post.

Yeah when I use my sig in production no safety its so much quicker. My Dan Wesson PM9 screams through it but the TSO is the slowest of all. With my hold I just can reach the back end of the safety and that's the big wide safety so some times I miss it. Just feels so deferent from any other pistol with a safety so I just need to practice and get use to it I guess because I love the pistol. Its so far forward I just have to get use to it. I see its a lot of complaints about that after searching about it. Some people wont own one for that reason.