Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking at geeting into USPSA & 3-gun

c_w_hogan

I basically just enjoy shooting and have looked at  the rules/website. 

What is the purpose of production class handgun?  It seems pointless if you are considering 3-gun as there is no correlated class. Also, it looks like 3-gun nation runs all 9mm (no major vs minor PF)

The point of Production was that someone could go to the store today and the range tomorrow and be competitive within their division (it has evolved a bit beyond that at this point). Correlated class in 3-gun would be something like Tac-optics. I see plenty of guys use their Production guns for this division. 9mm is popular because of increased magazine capacity and lack of hit factor scoring. 

3 hours ago, c_w_hogan said:

What is the purpose of production class handgun?  It seems pointless if you are considering 3-gun...

First, a lot of us don’t consider 3-gun at all. There are a lot of handgun only guys in the competition world.

Second, it’s the place where a gun very close to the one you carry on the street is competitive. Some guys are into that: I know I am. Carry Optics and Production are as far as many shooters care to venture from the showroom floor. You guys have fun with your giant magwells and 1.5 pound single action guns, but I’ll stay over here. ;) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Use whatever handgun you already have and head to whatever match you can. You can figure out exactly what and how you want to shoot as you gain some experience and comfort. Getting started is the most important thing. If you already have an AR and a shotgun and think you would like 3 gun, just go. You'll find the people helpful. Load from a bag on your belt, whatever. If you don't have something you need for a specific stage you can sit it out, if no one offers to let you borrow, which they probably will. Its easy to get caught up focusing on the gear, but just the act of going to a match puts you way ahead of most gun owners and even enthusiasts. 

Edited by Blockader

Most guys around here who are serious about 3gun just shoot limited minor with their 9mm 2011. I have seen a few use a G34 for production and they just add a magwell and frameweight for 3gun. Another good option would be a Shadow 2 or Tanfo in production and just add a magwell for 3 gun, no magwell would also be fine with any of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate the responses. I just thought it was interesting that USPSA has major and minor PF in the other divisions but has a production handgun division.  I realize I need to just go out and go to a contest. 

What I really want is a CZ Shadow 2 that weights about 6 oz less so it would qualify for both 3 gun and IDPA.