Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder choices from 2018 USPSA survey

muncie21

Recent USPSA article provided details of top 9mm major powders, pistols, brass, etc. shot during the 2018 nationals.

https://uspsa.org/magazine/view//2019-00#page=34

Interesting thing I saw was the top powder (by percentage) was VV 3N38.  If you added the two VV powders (3N38 & 3N37) they almost doubled (not quite) the next runner-up, WAC.

Kinda disappointed to see that AA#7 and Shooters World Major didn't make the top of the list.

Edited by muncie21

Interesting - thanks for posting the link.

I do not interpret these results as 3N38 being the top powder for 9 major, but as the top powder for open.

As great a powder as 3N38 is for 38 super/SC, it is a pain to load and make reasonable PF in 9. I'm sure a big part of that 31% using 3N38 (and 3N37 for that matter) were by the 45% 38S/SC shooters.

Surprising few 115 shooters too...

Thanks for the link. Interesting how much different it is when you flip to the next pages and look at the Carry Optics, Production and other survey results. Titegroup is the top choice or 2nd choice in all of them.

On 1/2/2019 at 10:07 PM, 36873687 said:

That’s good when  powder shortage hits we will have aa7 to our selfs 

Agreed! Ive shot A#7 and 3N38 in my supers. I honestly could not tell the difference in feel between the two in my Govt length gun but A#7 was considerably flatter in my shorty.  So with A#7 at about half the price of 3N38 I felt alot of difference in how my wallet feels LOL !