Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P-01 Omega vs P-07

Eargesplitten

Has anyone shot both of these? How do they compare? I would assume the trigger is similar, how much does the aluminum frame and different barrel length/frame size impact the shooting of it? I found a cheap Cajunized P-01 and while I had been mainly looking at the P-07, it seems like a great deal and the old style magazines are also miles cheaper than the new ones, so that's a bonus. It's got the professional package from CGW in there, my understanding is it brings the trigger to a crisp 8.5/2.5-3 with the 18 pound spring usually? If needed there's a gunsmithing school about 45 minutes to an hour away that apparently does good work for cheap (Colorado School of Trades) depending on whether I feel like getting the tools to do any remaining polishing/grinding myself.

I also only have the budget for one gun both for range/competition and carry, so the slightly smaller frame is a bit of a plus there. I had always heard good things about the original P-01, but never got my hands on one.

I've got a P-01 (75 series not Omega) that I put a lot of time and money into upgrading a couple years ago. It's a great size for compact carry. That said, my hands fit the P series guns so much better. No trigger dive on the DA shot.  I do miss the crisp SA you can get with the 75 series but in practice it makes no difference. If you can, shoot both before you decide. The grips are very different.

The cajuns gonna have a much better trigger. I have a P-07 that I use as my carry gun. The only thing I've done with it is a complete polish job. No new parts. The trigger is well....."ok". But I love the gun. it shoots very accurately for me and is a great little gun and a workhorse. I may be a bit spoiled as I shoot a Shadow 2 (with a lot of work) in competition. If your a trigger nut I would go cajun otherwise the P-07 is a fantastic gun.

One more thing to add. You wouldn't think so but I think the P-07 is less snappy.than the P-01

Edited by Flyingpig

The Omega P01's are good pistols.  I have a couple.  One was my EDC for several months last summer/fall.  No mechanical/accuracy issues with it, just that the weather changed and I'm carry open around my house/garage/property till warm weather comes back next year.

If the one you're looking at has had the CGW work done then it's a pretty darned good pistol.  

I actually really like the way the P01 feels in my hand.  My first was the Urban Gray model.  Every time I picked it up I immediately feel that difference in the grip vs. my other CZ's.  I figured it must be those vertical grooves in the front and back of the grip frame.  Every time.  It was odd that that pistol felt so good in my hand.  Not just different, but good.  That's part of the reason I bought the black P01 Omega.  Feels just as good.

I have a P07, too.  It is my EDC when I'm out in the car/truck running around getting shopping done, gassing up cars, grocery store, eating out, etc.  It has an RMR/back up sights on it and is a really good pistol, too.

If you can get a P01 with all the CGW work already done on it for a similar price to a new P07, you'll be ahead as the money, effort and parts are already in the P01.  And, as you mentioned, magazines are much cheaper for the P01.