Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Mag Differences?

saibot

I have a few STI mags and noticed that some are different than the others. Wondering if one type is better than the other. What do you guys think?

Both are new, but they have different base pads, the metal is rough/smooth, etc. See pictures below of mag 1 and mag 2.

Thanks

sti-02.jpg

sti-01.jpg

There were several small changes over the years regarding STI mags. There were length changes, feed lip forming changes, mag catch shape, etc, etc. 

I concur with Sarge on the mags you have are both Gen 1. By the looks of it, it looks like the final iteration of Gen 1 before they went to Gen 2. 

33 minutes ago, yoshidaex said:

There were several small changes over the years regarding STI mags. There were length changes, feed lip forming changes, mag catch shape, etc, etc. 

I concur with Sarge on the mags you have are both Gen 1. By the looks of it, it looks like the final iteration of Gen 1 before they went to Gen 2. 

Are one Gen better/preferred over the other? 

Thanks guys!

Thanks guys!
I prefer the Gen 1 mags personally. Not a ton of experience with the Gen 2 but I have 1 Gen 2 and the design of feed lips are more spread out. Seems to be harder to keep tuned.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, saibot said:

Thanks guys!

Gen 2 doesn’t need spacers to run 9MAJOR. Either mag will need tuning from time to time and different guts to get capacity up. That’s why I generally only buy tubes and put gram’s guts in with base pads of choice.

Ahhhh, OK, that makes sense now.

On a side note, I did order some MBX base pads and Grams springs/followers to use on these mags. The followers seem too large and don't move all the way to the top, so I assume some filing is in order. The top round sticks up/the top round doesn't lay flat on the bottom round like the factory ones do. Any tips on fixing those issues?

And thank you all for all the info/help! Open gear is so much more complex than my Production gear. It's hard to know what you don't know. Any books/videos for tuning up your gear?

For Gen2 mags there are several videos on how to tune them. ATLAS has several out. I tuned the mags and feed lips on the Gen2 and then put TTI followers, springs, and base pads in them. They have been great since then, no problems until of course the springs fail. They did last a whole season before the springs failed. 

So I'm getting there, but have a problem. I did watch the Atlas videos (great stuff). I have my feed lips set as instructed, but there is a gap between the first and second round when using the new Grams spring/follower. They sit correct with the original STI spring/follower. Curious what I'm missing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, saibot said:

So I'm getting there, but have a problem. I did watch the Atlas videos (great stuff). I have my feed lips set as instructed, but there is a gap between the first and second round when using the new Grams spring/follower. They sit correct with the original STI spring/follower. Curious what I'm missing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

9MAJOR? 9mm is tapered. All of my mags show gaps between rounds. I guess you could bend the spring upward under the follower to point the rounds more skyward but if they feed fine leave them alone.

Yes, sorry, should have mentioned that. 9 Major. 
I haven't tried shooting them yet, just trying to get my mags "tuned" per the Atlas videos. The STI mags work fine right now, they're new. I was just trying to get all the stuff ready for the season and the current springs start wearing out. I'll give that a whirl and see if that gets it done.
Thanks again!

I read somewhere on here that MBX mags are good to go right out of the box. By the time you buy STI mags and replace the springs followers and basepads they are just as expensive. So I bought a couple MBX. Been great so far!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, saibot said:

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Check to make sure that the "neck"  measurements or area where the mag changes from double to single stack is correct. Atlas has a short YouTube video on how to do it for Gen 2 mags. BUT check in the comments for the correct measurements, the measurements in the video are for 40's not 9's.  I was having problems with that gap/nose diving after I changed to Grams guts in my STI tubes and I keep tuning and working on getting them to run right. Come to find out I had the wrong measurements..... don't that! The stock followers (Gens 2)are wider then then Grams, the area where they change from double to single stack needs to be tighter for the Grams to feed right which causes that gap between the rounds which causes the nose diving. Good luck I hope this save you some of the frustrations that I had.

Edited by NamesNotMike

8 hours ago, NamesNotMike said:

Check to make sure that the "neck"  measurements or area where the mag changes from double to single stack is correct. Atlas has a short YouTube video on how to do it for Gen 2 mags. BUT check in the comments for the correct measurements, the measurements in the video are for 40's not 9's.  I was having problems with that gap/nose diving after I changed to Grams guts in my STI tubes and I keep tuning and working on getting them to run right. Come to find out I had the wrong measurements..... don't that! The stock followers (Gens 2)are wider then then Grams, the area where they change from double to single stack needs to be tighter for the Grams to feed right which causes that gap between the rounds which causes the nose diving. Good luck I hope this save you some of the frustrations that I had.

This is great! Thank you for posting this. I'll have to check my dimensions tonight and see of that's the ticket for my tubes. The video is mentions Gen 2 tubes,  did this work for your Gen 1 tubes?

Appreciate the help!

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 9:02 AM, saibot said:

This is great! Thank you for posting this. I'll have to check my dimensions tonight and see of that's the ticket for my tubes. The video is mentions Gen 2 tubes,  did this work for your Gen 1 tubes?

Appreciate the help!

Sorry about getting back to you late, busy weekend. I'm not sure if there is a difference between the gen 1 and 2 mags in the neck measurements if any. They are easy enough to tune once you have the right numbers so you may have to try it and see. You maybe be able to search Atlas's YouTube channel and find something about the measurements of the gen 1's..  The only gen 1 mags I have are for my limited gun and I haven't put Grams in them yet. I just changed the base plates out on them so next will be new springs and followers.