Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Mag Trouble

Oregonlaw76

All,

Appreciate any info in advance. 

I have an STI 4.0 2011 DS. First 2011, bought it used. I carry it daily to and from work and shoot it for weekend matches.  I have 6 1st gen 140mm mags that work great in matches and as my spare on my belt when I carry.    

I bought one 126mm mag new, 2nd gen to have in the gun when I carry.  It worked fine for 6 months but now is consistently not locking back on empty.  

My thought is is to order the gram spring and follower designed for 9mm with a spacer, and try that with a spacer. 

For those with experience with these, is that a reasonable first step for a 126mm?  Anything I’m missing?

Edited by Oregonlaw76

10 minutes ago, Oregonlaw76 said:

All,

Appreciate any info in advance. 

I have an STI 4.0 2011 DS. First 2011, bought it used. I carry it daily to and from work and shoot it for weekend matches.  I have 6 1st gen 140mm mags that work great in matches and as my spare on my belt when I carry.    

I bought one 126mm mag new, 2nd gen to have in the gun when I carry.  It worked fine for 6 months but now is consistently not locking back on empty.  

My thought is is to order the gram spring and follower designed for 9mm with a spacer, and try that with a spacer. 

For those with experience with these, is that a reasonable first step for a 126mm?  Anything I’m missing?

You don’t need a spacer with gen 2 STI mags so order grams guts for gen 2 STI MAG. Sounds like spring is just worn out.

• 1 month later...

If you are not searching for additional capacity the STI follower is just fine.  The other gentleman is correct, out of the box grams followers will want to lock back with one round still in the mag.  This is bad.  If you are not ready to put a Dremel to your new follower I would just stick to STI

8 hours ago, cconnection said:

If you are not searching for additional capacity the STI follower is just fine.  The other gentleman is correct, out of the box grams followers will want to lock back with one round still in the mag.  This is bad.  If you are not ready to put a Dremel to your new follower I would just stick to STI

Important Info- Grams followers are designed to allow you to tune the follower to your gun and mags for slide lock. If you do not want to tune your follower and want slide lock back do not buy these followers. Without tuning they may lock back with 1 round in the mag. This gives you plenty of room for adjustment to fit your particular equipment. If you do not want slide lock back just trim slide stop tab or Follower shelf to bypass Slide stop tab.

Edited by Sarge

• 11 months later...

converting to 9 from 38sc with gen 1 str mags.  got spacers and grams guts for them.  with 4-7mm pads, the spacers slide up and down.  no way to have the spacer go below the length of the mag or you can't get the base pad off.  loading mags means the spacer moves up & down.  would rather not glue them, but any other secret i'm missing?

8 minutes ago, outerlimits said:

converting to 9 from 38sc with gen 1 str mags.  got spacers and grams guts for them.  with 4-7mm pads, the spacers slide up and down.  no way to have the spacer go below the length of the mag or you can't get the base pad off.  loading mags means the spacer moves up & down.  would rather not glue them, but any other secret i'm missing?

I use a few drops of silicone. Then rig up some small clamps or stuff with material to compress the silicone. Unless you dump CLP or shoot them with too much brake cleaner they won't come loose. Yet easy enough to get out if you want. Just dump CLP or spray with break cleaner to dissolve. Been running mine like this for a number of years.