Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultra Light Trigger Pulls

Randy Lee

Dave,

The overchamfer could definitely be a culprit. I had 2 625's from the same customer whose friend chamfered the cylinder. It literally looked as if the charge holes and extractor had melted like a bar of soap. I think you could throw a loaded moon from across the room and it would drop in. Misfires and heavy trigger pull were the original complaint. But he said he could load the gun faster than the speed of light.

Mike,

The latest version of the extended firing pin does help, especially with the large surface area of the Federal 150 large pistol primer. It seems that with the large pistol primer, as the firing pin hits the surface, a larger percentage of the primer cup flat begins to deform before f/p begins to penetrate the cup. The light weight Titanium f/p that Smith uses tends to deform the cup then bounce off the surface before the tip can cause the priming compound to ignite. Sort of like a trampoline.

The older steel firing pins don't seem to have this problem.

I currently install extended firing pins for all my light weight trigger work. The caveat here is that none of the hammer fall forces on my work exceeds 2.0 lbs.

Using a mainspring force of 3lbs or greater will tend to peen the stopping shoulder of the extended firing pins and can cause the pin to bind in the f/p channel. The new C&S firing pins are not as hard in order to reduce the chance of breakage.

C&S also changed the design to include a larger fillet where the main body necks down to the tip diameter. If I were to make my own extended firing pin it would be made out of surface treated Titanium(with a few design changes of my own :D ).

Randy

Mike might remember Pioneer R&G in Dunbarton.  Great bunch.

Gary, I sure do remember!! In fact, that's one of the first places I ever shot any sort of handgun competition, about 35 pounds ago! :)

Have a great match, and if you see any of the old-timers, tell them I said hello!

Mike

Randy, thanks again for sharing your experience and expertise with us. I cannot think of another professional gunsmith who would take the time and effort to do this.

Very interesting stuff, even an opinionated SOB like me can learn a lot here! What a great dialogue....

Mike

Mike,

You are very welcome. What I have learned should (I hope) benefit others. If I can help someone steer clear of potential hazards, or give them some info that allows them to enjoy our sport more I am happy. Furthermore, it is the input I get from others that keeps me on my toes.

Funny. The more I learn, the more I realize that I do not know.

Randy

If you come to the Hogue Action Pistol Range, just look for the guy wearing a tie-dyed shirt and Birkenstock sandals eating a tofu sandwich sporting a Titanium cylindered revolver! :lol:

White or Wheat bread Randy?

I ain't never seed a tofu. But their meat jes don't tastes right. Come ta think of it tain't never seed a nagga neither but I gots a couch made of one of their hides. B)

If you come to the Hogue Action Pistol Range, just look for the guy wearing a tie-dyed shirt and Birkenstock sandals eating a tofu sandwich sporting a Titanium cylindered revolver! :lol:

I knew it! And I'll bet the only way you are getting the <3 lbs revos to work is with your organically grown gunpowder components and sun dried hand shaped free range 230 gr RN tofu bullets! :D

Dave

I thought I'd add this note I received from FL Wheeler(with his permission)

I got my gun from you in the mail a little past schedule but convinced it was worth the wait.

The next evening was a local indoor match. I was bragging about my new APEX trigger job.

When it came time to shoot it seems that I was getting a lot of light hits. This did not make me happy.

My fellow shooters were having a good time watching me look bad. I thought about it on the way home.

After a cold beer I went to the forums and started to read most of the posts in the revolver forum.

It was then I realized I had not prepared myself for this quality of workmanship with such close tolerances.

After examining my moon clips (non-Hearthco), I found most of the ones I used that night were not perfectly flat.

They were close enough before but some of the edges were twisted slightly.

The other thing I found on the forum was a post from you talking about the primers not being seated properly.

I examined my 550 and noticed a lot of slop in the shell plate.

First I straightened my moon clips and bought some Hearthco clips. Next I tightened the tolerances on my press.

I loaded some rounds of 38 Colt short brass with N330 and Masterblasters 150 bullets, went to the range, cronoed in at 127PF.

After about 200 round and lots of reload practice drills, I have a different outlook on my 627 now. So do my fellow shooters.

It seems my bottom feeder buddies that were so amused before aren’t so happy now they are getting their butts kicked by a wheel gun.

Thanks for a fantastic action job. You may need to stress to some of your future customers the importance of flat moon clips and properly seated primers.

FL Wheeler

IRC gun(also with Ti cylinder) was running a .003 gap and the loads I ran with the Sierra 170 gr. bullet were 8 power factor points higher than previous years with .3 gr. LESS powder.

Go figure...

That might explain why my 646 wants to lock up with loads that are close to the line. I've loaded a bunch of 180 LRN that if I go over 3.8 of Titegroup just want to lock the gun up. Max load is listed at 4.3, I believe, but I can't come close to that.

Jerry

Hi Gary,

I haven't done any testing with the small primer brass, but I think there is merit to your question. Based upon what I have seen, there should be a difference in potential pull weights between the two cases.

Best,

Randy

Thanks Randy,

I just scored a good size box of once fired. This winter, when time allows, I am planning on working on it. Good thing about moon clips is this brass will last a looooong time :)

Report will follow when I have something. My IDPA 4" 625 will be the test gun.

Gary