Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Limited Custom trigger hangs on Ghost holster

Tirppa

So I bought a used (2003) Tanfoglio Limited Custom and a brand new Ghost Ultimate holster. I found out that the trigger moves sideways inside the trigger guard and the holsters edge would press the trigger and allow the hammer fall if the safety wasn't engaged. I bought a new extreme semiflat steel trigger but that didn't fix the issue. The trigger doesn't wobble anymore but it seems the frame is out of spec or something since the trigger protrudes outside the trigger guard. Anyone else have the same problem? If you holster your gun with some determination with safety off the hammer drops? 

Obviously any and all ideas how to fix the issue are welcome.

Here's a picture how it looks. 

ijZfYU3.jpg

Edited by Tirppa

The trigger is new. Pins are new. Sear and hammer are fine. The hammer doesn't drop without pressing the trigger. The problem is that the trigger protrudes outside the trigger guard and hits the side of the holster thus pressing the trigger and "firing" the gun. The trigger is pretty much exactly the same width as the trigger guard. It's like the trigger hole in the frame isn't perfectly centered. The old trigger was super loose inside the trigger guard and would wiggle out side the trigger guard. The new one sits tighter but is now permanently outside the trigger guard (as seen in the picture). The trigger is centered in the hole in the frame. I guess only thing to do is shave of some of the trigger and accept that the frame is out of spec.  

I mean as long as safety is engaged everything is fine but I'd still feel safer if the gun wouldn't go off if I make a human error or the safety somehow fails.

Edited by Tirppa

I believe the Henning trigger was designed to fix this. I think he has posted on his website that he shot himself in the foot due to the problem you describe

Edit: here it is:

Precise Fit to Frame
If you inspect how the factory trigger fits in the frame you'll see how much sideways wobble there is. You may not think this is all that important, but how would you feel if I told you it was partially the reason why I ended up with a bullet hole in my foot ten years ago? The frame is equipped with a "trigger guard" which main purpose is to protect the trigger from accidentally being pushed. Well, if the trigger is allowed to move outside the width of the trigger guard, it is exposed which is not a good thing from a safety perspective. Secondly, sideways wobble and slop prevents a precise trigger movement. The new Henning trigger is designed with a "boss" width of .335" which will allow for a tight fit inside the frame. The actual width of the lever that you pull with your finger is .250". 

Edited by DesertTortoise

1 minute ago, DesertTortoise said:

I believe the Henning trigger was designed to fix this. I think he has posted on his website that he shot himself in the foot due to the problem you describe

Ooh goodie.. I get to spend more money :P

to be honest I was already gonna buy the henning trigger but then decided to save and got the xtreme trigger on discount for 65eur. Should've gone with the Henning from the start. 

2 minutes ago, Harlow said:

Yeah the Henning trigger seems like it'd be a good option to fox this, or it may be time to bust out the trusty dremel.

This will probably be the first aid until the next paycheck :P

My clubmate who has been tuning the gun said he can mill the trigger if I want. I told him to go ahead. I'll order the Henning when I can afford it and work with the steel one till then. Thanks everyone for the input!

Edited by Tirppa