Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting Tanfo 38S to 9mm Major in Gold Team

phil plesetz

• 4 weeks later...

Just my .02...I owned a Tanfo Gold Team new large frame in 9mm bought new about 3 years ago. It was an unreliable; chronically failing to eject. Despite parts changes, tweaks, trips to the distributor, and an experienced tanfo gunsmith it only improved marginally and never could be made to run dependable enough for matches. From the various reading I did to figure out a solution I saw much eluding to the unavailable to the US smaller frame being better suited for 9's and the larger frame available in the US has issues with 9's but will run supers reliably. So unless something has changed in the Tanfo recently my advice is to stay with the super and just shoot it. The "savings" in brass does not outweigh the reliability and confidence of the gun. Not to mention most go to 9 for range brass to account for the savings and convenience. In major your gonna have to roll size or base size all that brass to prevent any bulges so you dont lock up the gun with pinched/blown out brass. So again ask yourself if the dollars saved on brass warrant the equipment to roll/base size and time to do it?