Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

College Football Season's Arrival

Middle Man

Another reason to love the SEC is the obvious passion of the fans. For example, a favorite shirt seen in Athens, GA at the past weekend's UGA v South Carolina....picture a white shirt with tall, crimson letters reading:

"I always knew Spurrier was a Cock"

Edited by Middle Man

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SPC White,

Do they even get College football in Korea ????? :mellow:

HOP

Yeah...sort of. We get the major games live. For the USC/Hawaii game I had to watch it like two days later and it was, "edited for time". Sucks, but it's way better than nothing.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Looks like the Trojan's had themselves a big pig BBQ!!

The wife and I were in LA for a few days back in May. We took a drive around the USC campus and the Coliseum, and boy it was a stark difference from the small town campus of Auburn. Pasadena and the Rose Bowl remined us of our neighborhood in suburban Birmingham, just switch the palms for pine trees. Setting aside the state government's problems and the rampant eroision of personal liberty in California, I can however see what attracted all those folks to move to SoCal over the past 100 years. Nice place to visit...

Pig roast to say the least. 700+ yards of total offense. Of the first 8 plays, 4 were touchdowns. Incredible, incredible explosion by the offenese. The defense play well. With Oregon next week, this game was a must.

LA is actually kind of cool. Every city/region is its own little world, with its own set of rules. Once you learn the rules, it's like living anywhere else. I'm impressed that you drove into the 'hood and saw USC. They don't call it the "University of South Central" for nothing. My best friend was in class during the LA Riots of 1992 and I was there for the riots in 1993. Pretty sweet.

Pasadena & the Rose Bowl is great. Not a bad seat in the house and elegant compared to most stadiums. While it's "home" to UCLA, the fact is that we own the place.

Fight on and let's beat some Duckies next week...hopefully!

Camp Humphreys, ROK

USC Class of '97

The 'hood around USC, in the afternoon sun, didn't seem all that bad. The bums in Santa Monica seemed more threating than the folks on the sidewalks of downtown LA.

It's hard to judge USC overall until they play a team with something resembling a defense.

Typos...I should learn to proofread...

Edited by Middle Man

Wasn't Oklahoma supposed to be THE TEAM of the century last year? Jason White (a.k.a. returning Heisman trophy winner), Adrian Peterson (a.k.a. all everything running back) and a defense that would stop anyone?

Check stats on last year's Orange Bowl. I think it was 42-10 at the half.

Fact is that our offense is awesome and often times the other teams defense can't do anything about it. Coach Carroll and staff prepare so intensely week to week. I have a pretty exclusive insight into how they train/practice and let me tell you it's unreal the level to which they prepare for situations and presentations by the opposing team (on both sides of the ball).

Just part of the rebuilding of our already storied legacy!

Fight on!

Camp Humphreys, ROK

USC Class of '97

I hate to be a killjoy for the OU fans out there, but they were seriously overrated last year and the Championship game kinda proved that. But hey, I have a bias in that my team, Auburn, was left out. One could say Stoops & Co. got by on their looks and the sports media slobbering all over them in 2004. Playoffs please

There is no doubt Carroll has it figured out and no one else has been able to match his scheme and prep work. I wonder how much Norm Chow's absence will affect USC? It probably will not be felt this year, but the brain drain could take it's toll next season.

Edited by Middle Man

I wonder how much Norm Chow's absence will affect USC? It probably will not be felt this year, but the brain drain could take it's toll next season.

We talked about this a lot in USC football circles around the Championship game last year. We've lost about 5 or 6 (can't remember) coaches from last year's Natinal Championship team. Fortunately we have a very capable replacement in Steve Sarkisian, Chow's # 1 protege of all time, and Heisman trophy winner at BYU (under Chow as offensive coordinator).

Chow's vision and creativity is going to be huge loss no matter who's in there. So far it hasn't been a problem, but the real tests are coming, starting this weekend against Oregon. Let's hope for the best.

As for Auburn....I've been adopted (sort of) into the family through my best friend's girlfriend. She's an Auburn alum and so we "cheer" for Aubbie. That being said, in 2003, when we were blowing out Auburn on the road she was not among the 5,000 fans left in the stadium during the 4th quarter (we were :D ). Of course, she should have seen it coming, since we beat them in 2002 as well. We were hoping to play AU last year in the BCS game ('cause they belonged there) and try to make it three years in a row. Alas, the writers and their picks...believe me, we know (see LSU vs. Oklahoma).

War Eagle! and FIGHT ON!!!

Camp Humphreys, ROK

With Auburn sharing the state with UAT (Univeristy of Alabama, Tuscaloosa) we as Auburn people have always felt kinda like, well how to put it....anyhow we're used to being passed over and put down by sportswriters and pundits. So after a brief moment of grief and cussing, most of us chose to move on after last year's BCS Championship.

We, as Auburn people, regularly beat out our rivals in not only football, but also in things like income rankings and number of alumni serving as Fourtune 500 CEOs. Believe me this is a 24/7, 365, all inclusive rivalry that happens to cumulate with a football game in November. Alas, nostalgia affects pundits and fans alike. Around these parts, UAT retains a majority of both and they all pine for the grandure and glory of their past success.

Welcome to the fold and War Eagle!

BTW, vote for Aubie

Yep, I sat through the whole game in 2003, talk about a let down after too much hype. Honestly, I'd rather lose to a quality opponent than beat a compass point U Division 1AA team into a senseless pulp.

Well here we go again.......A SEC team had to play another SEC team (LSU(4)vs.TN(10).

Unfortunately for the SEC.....an Unbeaten team is now 1-1. :(

Beaten by a team with a loss already!!! :(

Fortunately for TENNESSEE after a terrible first half, they actually played football and won in overtime.!! :D

USC looked good, they had a little trouble out of the gate but got rolling after a little while.....

College football......Man this is good stuff!!!!!

HOP

Well Rich,

USC won again, but you won't like the game, only the ending.

Here in the south, 2 undefeated SEC teams have to beat each other out of the NC game. :angry:

TENNESSEE improved to 3-1 with a win over Mississippi RUBBLES....ah...HM... I meant rebels :P

College football.....GOOD STUFF !!!!

HOP

Hey M.M. what about them War Eagles????? I did not see anything on them.

With it being, 'the' big game, I got to see the entire game. Getting up at 0430 on a Sunday was a little rough, but it's a small price to pay for being able to watch a game again.

Believe, that was about the worst game I've ever seen. My throat is still sore from screaming at the television. My neighbors (on both sides) and above have been pounding all morning. That was horrible.

Thank goodness they cured the rectile cranial inversion they were suffering from in the first half.

In a word. WHEW! Got away with one there. If ASU was as physically prepared as USC, we would have probably lost that game. Fact is that we are a better team, but it means nothing if you don't execute (sound like our sport?).

Arizona next week and then the f'ing Irish. I hate...hate...hate Notre Dame.

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Hmm, what's a nice way to say that Auburn beat the South Carolina Gamecock's 48-7. You must be very, very tactful and I can imagine the Birmingham News' copy editors nightmares these past few weeks with bama and Auburn handing them losses.

Another great SEC football weekend, I only wish Vandy would have made that field goal. That win may have sent them to a bowl game and that would have given the SEC 7 or possibly 8 teams in some bowl.

I have a hard time cheering for bama (folsoml knows its damn near impossible to cheer for your in-state rival) but you have to hand it to the toilet paper/detergent team for handing a whipping to UF. And it's too bad the Prothro kid busted his ankle, bama may have finally had a Heisman candidate there...

Glad to see USC had a challenging game and had to come back to win. I didn't want the sports writers giving them the National Championship in mid October. SPC. White, I can't believe that your neighbors didn't come over to watch, must not be football fans.

Edited by Middle Man

Well folks, we have another big weekend of college football. And the decision about which game to watch Saturday afternoon is a big one.

USC v Notre Dame, Penn St v Michigan, UF v LSU or heck how about Teaxs v Colorado? They'll be lots of trigger time on the remote Saturday after my match...

Thank goodness for Tivo!

I'll be recovering from my MP Ball, this weekend and waking up at around 0430 to watch the game with my battle buddy, who's a huge Notre Dame fan. Unfortunately, since the rest of the folks in our hotel will probably be hung over, the yelling and screaming will have to be kept to a minimum.

The Trojan faithful are nervous as hell about this game despite being favored by almost two touchdowns. So...if you are a USC fan, or just flat despise, hate or wish to have Notre Dame vanished from existence, please pray for a USC victory (the latter being where USC and Michigan alum fall in)!

Have a great weekend and hope to have good news (and pics from the ball) once I return.

Camp Humphreys, ROK