Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Sep.

Kramer

Wow! Two in one day. Case head separation on .40 may not be that unusual but I have never heard of it happening twice to one shooter in the same day.....

Ditto what GuildSF4 said about inspecting your brass. Something is definitely not kosher.

Kramer- Do yourself a huge favor, stop shooting that load untill you can chronograph it!!!!!! I found a .40 load for 180g zero bullets and N320 in a Glock. With an OAL of 1.14" the load was 4.6g of N320. You're way over that. When the load was bumped up .1g it generated an extra 30 fps.

For quick math take 30fps x 5 (.5g) which gives you 150. The velocity could be as high as 1080fps. Which means that you could be shooting 194pf....or higher!

If I'm wrong, my appologies in advance. ;)

waiting on ups to del . my new crony tomorrow

Uhh...that's not going to fix your OAL if you're running short like Bob suspects.

Why not back off your load about 15 to 20% and work your way back up with the help of your chrono? Better safe than a couple fingers short.

I agree re: OAL. Most manuals list a MINIMUM overall length of 1.125 for .40. So, most guys just look a the number & use 1.125. WRONG!!! Particularly with a powder that is not listed in .40 reloaidng data for 180s.

Anyone attempting N320 in a Glock shoud use an OAL of at least 1.155" to - as long as will fit in your Glaock's mag (probably 1.165")

Again, please tell us: did either bullet set back on the seperations you had?

This is a huge problem with people posting/sharing their load recipes. Often the OAL is left out. (not saying that happened here...just saying)

This load sounds too hot for the OAL. And, there may be some bullet setback issue to go along with that.

Kramer, do you know how to test for bullet setback?

Also, what is the measured OAL of youir finished rounds (not what you set the press up to load, but the actual measured finished product)?

oal 1.125and ii dont think there was setback. iwas thinking more of the gun fireing out of battery because of the light spring. i shot this load most of the somer with a 15lb sping and had no prob. with it.when i put the havere sping back in at mach sun. the gun ran like a clock .

So if we have this right you are shooting, 5.1 of VV 320 behind a 180 gr head loaded to 1.125 OAL? WOW I hope you didn't load up very much.

Thank god you have a bar-sto barrel the original may have experienced a KB (unsupported chamber)

At that OAL (1.125) 4.5-4.7 gr of 320 should be fine for major (depending on bullet material/jacket). VV does not publish load data for 320 on anything over a 165 gr bullet so why did you start with so much powder?

So if we have this right you are shooting, 5.1 of VV 320 behind a 180 gr head loaded to 1.125 OAL? WOW I hope you didn't load up very much.

Thank god you have a bar-sto barrel the original may have experienced a KB (unsupported chamber)

At that OAL (1.125) 4.5-4.7 gr of 320 should be fine for major (depending on bullet material/jacket). VV does not publish load data for 320 on anything over a 165 gr bullet so why did you start with so much powder?

never started with the load i workt my way up to it. i will have the ansere this week just got my crony will be at the range tomarow

Once again, I'm going to state the obvious:

THE INTERNET IS NOT AND SHOULD NOT BE ONE'S PRIMARY SOURCE FOR LOAD DATA.

Please refer to and use the manufacturer's published data when working up loads. If a load (read: powder charge/bullet/caliber combination) is not listed in the manufacturer's published data, there is almost certainly a reason WHY.

If people want to blow off their fingers by themselves on their private range, I guess that's their own business. If one's going to show up to a public range or shoot a sanctioned match, I think a little more individual responsibility is in order.

Thank you.

[/End Tirade]