Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Win 231 and Zero 147 JHP 9mm for 130 PF

Diegoacostalo

56 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I don't think so - I was at PF 132 with 3.5 grains W231.

I, of course, don't know what pressures will be.    I am simply going by the closest published data I can see for 231 and a 147gr JHP, which is Hodgdon's data for the 147gr XTP, which is 3.4gr max standard at 845 feet/sec.  He's looking for about 885, and you're getting around 900 for 3.5gr.  Don't know what the pressures are, but those would be over max standard and in +P range for the closest published data.

Not saying it's dangerous, not even saying I wouldn't do it.  ;)   And I have found Hodgdon's load data to be the least reliable of any of the powder manufacturers.  But 885 is into +P range for the nearest published load data (that I could see), and I figured some caution was warranted.

On 10/18/2018 at 2:00 PM, Diegoacostalo said:

Has anyone reloaded Zero 147 JHP 9mm with Win 231 to get a 130ish PF?  I have access to Win 231, but I haven't seen any reloading data for more than 127 PF.

Well, I tested some loads yesterday with a chrono, here was my experience with my CZ Shadow2, OAL of 1.12, Zero JHP 147gr, and W231.

3.2gr = 115PF

3.5gr = 130PF

3.6gr=  135PF

2 hours ago, Diegoacostalo said:

CZ Shadow2, OAL of 1.12, Zero JHP 147gr, and W231.

3.2gr = 115PF

3.5gr = 130PF

3.6gr=  135PF

Very unlikely an additional 0.1gr of powder from 3.5gr - 3.6gr increased PF by 5. You're not going to fet an extra 34 feet/sec for a tenth of a grain.  That seems more like 0.2gr - 0.3gr difference for that big a jump.  Suspect your drops were off. 

Anyway, I'd recommend you load some at 3.4, 3.5, 3.6 and test for accuracy, then choose the most accurate. 

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Thanks for sharing    :)

I'd stay on the high side of PF 125.   PF 130 - 133 sounds good to me.

Allow me to say this, about that.

While I don't disagree with Jack's statement about having a five to ten point cushion regarding power factor, it is only at Level 3 and National tournaments where chronographing is required. It is only suggested that chronographing be done at Level 1 and 2 matches. Very few level 1 and 2 matches go to the good time and trouble of setting up a chrono station, however.

Therefore, if you chronograph your match load and the result is the minimum 125 PF, and at the match another shooter complains to the MD that you're shooting bunny farts, the MD must (by rule) take your word for it if no chronograph station is in place.

You can then compete with a clear conscious. ?

Edited by MikieM

2 hours ago, MikieM said:

if  shooter complains to the MD that you're shooting bunny farts, the MD must (by rule) take your word for it if no chronograph station is in place.

They may NOT take your word for it if pasters get to the target BEFORE your bullets     :surprise:

If you're shooting PF 122 or so, you might have some standing steel after you show clear.     :) 

There's really no good reason to shoot USPSA with PF 127 or less - too much deviation

from round to round, and chrono to chrono, and hot to cold.     :cheers:

I load mostly the 147 grain Xtreme plated and 3.4 gr HP38. 

894 fps, f 131 in my Colt 1991A1;

925 fps f 135 in Glock 34.

Bullets differ, back when I could get Hornady 147 gr boattail blems cheap it took 3.7 gr HP38 for f 130 in that Colt and less in other guns.  Didn't even make Minor in Sig P226. 

Don't freak out and fear for my safety when loading the Hodgdon maximum and more, Lyman STARTS at 3.4 and goes to Maximum 4.1 gr W231 and a 147 Speer TMJ. 

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

They may NOT take your word for it if pasters get to the target BEFORE your bullets     :surprise:

If you're shooting PF 122 or so, you might have some standing steel after you show clear.     :) 

There's really no good reason to shoot USPSA with PF 127 or less - too much deviation

from round to round, and chrono to chrono, and hot to cold.     :cheers:

If there is no chronograph set up they have to take your word for it, Jack. It's the rules.

If you claim your ammo is doing 125 pf, as per your chronograph, then that's it. You're good to go. :rolleyes:

Edited by MikieM