Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brazos pro trigger/sear tuning

ncrivello

I dropped the Brazos Pro Series trigger into my 9mm Range Officer last night.  Prior to installation, trigger pull weight was ~6.25lbs.  With the new ignition components and springs, it was still ~6.25lbs despite feeling much better.

I put the original Springfield sear spring back in and it came to ~2.75lbs with a nice break but really soft /weak reset.  Started futzing with the Brazos sear and brought the pull weight down to around 4.75lbs.  

Can you guys point me to a good sear spring tuning video/guide to get this thing set up right?  Thanks!

May also want to make sure the left edge of the left leg of the sear spring isn't dragging on the side of the frame.  This will add extra drag / weight to the whole system.  If it is dragging, you can polish that edge of the sear spring a little on a buffer wheel until it moves freely. The sear spring, and quality of the angles and surfaces on the sear and hammer hooks are most of what make a good trigger press.  Could also look for burrs on the surfaces inside the frame that the trigger shoe, trigger bow, and hammer ride on.

If you have a Brazos hammer and sear I would not mess with the sear or hammer engagement surfaces. They should be right and changing that will more than likely damage them. 

Much of the pull weight can be changed by tuning the sear spring. 

If you're not positive on how to do that I would strongly suggest getting help. Doing any of this wrong can create a dangerous situation. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ncrivello said:

Update to this one. 

Tuning the sear spring resulted in a trigger weight of ~2lbs.  Haven't felt many 1911 triggers but this one feels great.  Ran it at a local match Sunday and a practice session on Saturday.  About 600 rounds through the gun and not a single hiccup!  :)

I've been looking into one of these for my RO as well. Did you have to fit anything other than tuning the sear spring? Did you also get a disconnector? It doesn't look like the BCG comes with one.

On 10/18/2018 at 8:50 PM, ncrivello said:

I found this Brownells article useful; it covers the info I needed quite well.  Will put it to use tonight! 

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=12535

For those looking, the Weigand article at Brownell's is excellent.  Also on Brazo's site is great tuning info....

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/0407.htm

?

4 hours ago, tdp88 said:

I've been looking into one of these for my RO as well. Did you have to fit anything other than tuning the sear spring? Did you also get a disconnector? It doesn't look like the BCG comes with one.

All parts dropped in, I just had to tune the sear spring.  It doesn't come with a disconnector; I plan to either polish/tune the factory one the next time it's out or pick up an EGW or Extreme engineering unit.  

The thumb safety is a bit mushy and stiff when activating it,  so I plan on removing a tiny bit of material via polishing to get that crisp click on and off.