Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers hitting shell plate on upstroke

OK the primer disk rotates as the ram rises and the primer punch is fully retracted and the shell plate is not in rotation.

The shell plate should be completely rotated by the time the punch begins to press against the piece of "L" steel bolted to the frame.

Any other thing happening means you have a problem in/with the index ring, the index pawl (that spring loaded metal piece that pushes the shell plate around. It is mounted in a plastic slot in the index ring so it could have a problem), or maybe the primer punch "L" plate is loose or not correctly mounted.

I might also suggest you go back to the stock shell plate index ball and spring (if you've change to one of those plastic ones with the light spring). Also use the stock index ring indexer rather than an after market roller bearing. 

Basically if you've made modifications or improvements return the press to stock Dillon parts to see if that's helps any. You also need to buy the "parts kit" because it is filled with some really good little parts that tend to break or wear during that critical reloading session.

This press is really not very complicated and keep at it, it will work!

Yes if there's an after market part available, I probably have it on this press. Its all tricked out lol. I agree with you about the index ring and was thinking the same thing last night. I also agree with trying putting the shell plate ball and spring as well as the index block roller back to stock but dont really think thats the problem. 

I have gone through this with my press and a friend's press. Try loosening the shellplate just a bit first and crank the handle quickly and see if the shellplate gets cleared of the primer punch in time.

If that didn't solve it, then your indexer block isn't pushing the index ring far enough quick enough. The index ring and block are wear items so you need to be constantly checking to make sure everything is centered. Also check to see if your index ring and/or spring isn't cracked or broken.

Edited by wickenheiser

8 hours ago, PhillySoldier said:

Yes if there's an after market part available, I probably have it on this press. Its all tricked out lol. I agree with you about the index ring and was thinking the same thing last night. I also agree with trying putting the shell plate ball and spring as well as the index block roller back to stock but dont really think thats the problem. 

The reason why I mention going back to stock Dillon on those parts is from experience.

First I use Titegroup powder for my 9 and 40 pistol loads so spillage has never been an issue.

When I put a Mark 7 drive on the 650, because of its smoothness in running the ram up and down, I began to see little issues with the index, shell alignment. What I found was those after market parts designed to make the shellplate rotate smoother, the shell plate ball and spring and the index ring guide block with a roller bearing, actually were reducing the precision of the loader’s shell plate rotation.

I also found the shell plate axle three piece flat bearing increased the wobble or tilting of the shell plate as the primer was being pushed in. There’s just a bit more play in that bearing over the stock bearingless axle bolt and the shell plate, which also reduced precision a small amount.

While none of us on this forum can diagnose your problem accurately, I think it has come down to your indexing system as the culprit. So let us know how it goes. 

Edited by HesedTech

• 1 month later...

Gotta say this has been a damn nightmare and Im getting fed up. Finally got the spare parts kit, broke the machine down and cleaned yet again, used the alignment tool to reassemble. Index ring wasnt broke or cracked though I did wind up breaking the index spring that wraps around it. Luckily I had the new spare parts kit... Yep I winded up sling shooting the spring into oblivion when trying to put it on. Ordered yet another spring and got it back together. Of course I then found the lost spring... Gave up on it all for a couple weeks out of frustration. Tried again yesterday and completely broke everything down and re-aligned yet again. Everything looks squared and centered at the end of the up or down stroke but Im still hitting the shell plate during use and flipping about 1 in ever 3 to 5. Was trying to get a video of it yesterday but gave up  in my frustration. I really need this fixed. Im outta reloads at this point. 

The shellplate should be fully rotated and held in place by the detent ball before the primer seater begins pushing the primer up. If you don't have an index alignment tool, the steel tube that was referred to earlier in this thread, please email us your name and address and request one. It sounds like the indexing cam, located on the left side of the frame, is not aligned.

To start , it needs to go further towards the back of your bench, to cause the shellplate to be fully advanced.