Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tips For Removing An Ambi Safety?

InTheBlack

On my Para I have to remove the right grip panel so the right side safety can be pulled off. Pull the right off (I just pull straight out) and remove the left side just like any standard 1911 safety.

Nope, not working. When I pull on one side I can get maybe 1/16 inch of clearance on that side. When I pull on the other side, the unit goes to that side and the 1/16 inch appears on that side.

EDIT:

Another forum suggested putting a credit card under the right side to get it to "pop" out. I did that, and I also stood on the frame while yanking up on the bent credit card while holding it it a pair of pliers and all that happened is that the card tore.

Why is it so !@! (&*#$&@ tight? Time for some Kroil ???

I've got it in the "up" position, and its not the sear-pin type.

I know what you mean, but I'm not finding any sweet spot. Any wiggle tried on either side results in the same movement on the other side; even when I'm trying to hold the other side still.

These two halves are just rock-solid together. Usually there's some play in the right side when you move the safety, but not on this one.

When I wiggle & pull, I just get the feeling that I'm going to bend the lever.

I really don't want to "lever" the right side off since it would leave a scar on the stainless finish.

In addition to cocking the hammer, try holding it down all the way into the beavertail with your right thumb. Some need the hammer all of the way back to come out. If you happen to have a SVI opitfit safety, you need to unscrew a small allen bolt first.

Its not physically possible to hold the frame & the left frame side safety in the "sweet spot" zone with the left hand, and also to hold back the hammer while trying to level the right frame side safety out.

I just tried using the back of a knife to pop the right safety & got no extraction at all. Cut my knuckle, though.

Tried holding hammer fully back-- no movement.

My favorite tool is an eight inch zip-tie. The tab is super-thin and can sneak under by the pin fairly easily, and the rest of the length provides good pulling power, while allowing the all-important wiggle room.

Next up: the joys of bamboo chopsticks as all-purpose 1911 tools, from cleaning rods to disassembly punches to thumb detent installers to ersatz "pencil test" projectiles.

zip tie works!!! once I got it jammed under, it was strong enough to yank really hard right beside the pin so I didn't bend the lever.

This is also going to replace the loop of string for disassembling a Ruger Mark II.

Whoever assembled this decided to use a hammer instead of stoning the pieces to fit. Once I got it apart, the tenon does not fit into the slot more than 1/16 inch, and I can see the burrs on both pieces where they were jammed together.

A little filing and now the have a snug slip fit with no wobble.

Does a SA 1911 A1 "Loaded" come with ambi safety? Need to know if I should blame the factory or the bozo previous owner. See also the short mainspring thread for his further adventures...

Whoever assembled this decided to use a hammer instead of stoning the pieces to fit.

Actually, that's how those pieces *have* to fit if they're not going to come loose 500 rounds later. I dimple the bejeezus out of the tab and tap the two pieces together with a brass hammer. It's the only way I know of to get a tight ambi short of altering the parts with files and a welder to create a snap feature.

• 1 year later...
My favorite tool is an eight inch zip-tie. The tab is super-thin and can sneak under by the pin fairly easily, and the rest of the length provides good pulling power, while allowing the all-important wiggle room.

Next up: the joys of bamboo chopsticks as all-purpose 1911 tools, from cleaning rods to disassembly punches to thumb detent installers to ersatz "pencil test" projectiles.

Shred,

You have no idea how much trouble you saved me with that zip-tie idea! I've taken apart tons of 1911s and never had a problem getting the safety out...until today! Your trick kept me from pulling my HAIR out! Thanks,