Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Guga Ribas

sps

I know Marcello Torres of Guga Ribas is also a member of this forum, i beg for his pardon that i will post this..regarding the finish of the FSH-01 holster.

"The GUGA RIBAS FSH-01 Holster is produced in two different finishes; first one, is the Anodized finish, and second, the Teflonized. Both variations are the very same holster but for the finish applied to them; bear in mind that the FSH-01 is made from "Ergal" aluminum alloy (Al 7075), the same material used in airplanes and by Beretta, SIG-Sauer and Taurus (among others) for the frames of their pistols. "Ergal" is a premium raw stock all by itself!

The Anodization process consists in producing an extremely hard oxide (from the Ergal proper) through an electrolyctic process on the holster's surface. This surface oxidization of the aluminum is not only extremely hard, but very much thin as well. However, it's highly resistant to abrasion, quite smooth and very protective of the aluminum underneath (you see, aluminum is a funny element; it protects itself from "rusting" through "rusting" itself!). Our Anodized holsters are made in Black, Gold, Red and Blue colors.

The Teflonization finishing, on the other hand, is applied by first sandblasting the holster's parts to create several microscratches on its surface. Then the various parts are sprayed with a coat of Teflon primer which flows into the the micro-scratches, and then the primed surfaces are baked at high heat (390° C. and over), causing the Teflon to solidify. Next you spray on a finish coat and bake that, also at high heat and under closely controlled conditions. The resulting surface treatment is extremely resistant to abrasion, highly slippery (hint number one!) and because of that, quite well adept at easing frictional mechanical work, i.e., inserting and drawing (hint number 2!). The FSH-01 Teflonized holsters are always Silver/Grey colored.

To summarize, the Teflonized holsters are especially indicated for metal-framed pistols, while the Anodized holsters are more apt at dealing with polymer-framed guns. Nonetheless, in spite of their high quality and several properties, both finishes are but the icing on the cake, meaning the FSH-01 holster itself. What that translates to is that the holster's features are the same on both models, and each one has more specific applications – not withstanding the fact that both are equally excellent and well-recommended either for metal-framed as well as polymer-framed pistols.

Last but not least, the Teflonized FSH-01 does present an advantage in speed when drawing, especially for the advanced shooter. Not only that, but in the end it may prove to be more durable in terms of appearance."

I have the Guga holster in silver anodized finish. I don't see how the finish of the holster would have any impact on draw speed. The gun does not contact metal. The trigger guard and bottom of the receiver ahead of the guard both contact plastic (nylon?). My suggestion would be to go for the anodized finish as I think it's more durable than the teflon finish.

Mi dos centavos.

Mine is blue Anodized.

I am still getting used to it, my previous holster was/is a Safariland. Great holster, but I did not trust the locking mechanism on the Safariland.

The Gugas has a Great Locking system, as does the CR Speed holsters. I bought this one used, and man, it is like NEW. As is always the case, every holster is a bit different, so I am getting to "know it" right now, but so far, so good!

I am not crazy about the price, but the Gugas mag pouches look awesome too, just might be out of my price range I am afraid. :(

FWIW, my first gun was an aluminum framed Beretta. Tough finish, yes, but it still got holster wear marks and scratches. Perhaps used in a holster w/o metal to metal or other significant potential wear contact it'd be fine.

Every piece of teflon coated metal I have ever owned had the coating wear faster than I liked...

Kevin C.