Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

POI 9mm 124 vs 115

boudreux

So what if it's two-years-old.

There's information in here that some of us haven't seen before. I've seen information in Internet forums that goes back a decade or more, that I've gleaned information from that was useful. 

If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to read it. I skip over postings that I don't want to read.

On 8/20/2018 at 9:31 AM, RippinSVT said:

External ballistics having an appreciable effect on POI inside 50 yards is a fallacy for everything but the slowest 45acp and 38 Special loads, where it's still only a few inches.  99.9999% of the time appreciable POI changes over distance is as a result of the sight plane being out of parallel to the bore axis, often as a result of a real close zero.  This is exacerbated with a tall dot. The further you can zero your pistol, the better your average POA/POI will be over distance, at least out the point where external ballistics really start playing with the equation and appreciable drop occurs, which is around 70-80 yards with a minor 9mm 115/124gr load.  A solid 50yd zero will often vary +/- 1" all the way back to 10 yards or so, with low impacts occurring below this distance due to the height of the sight above bore centerline (plus the inherent 1* or 52 minute downward tilt of a 1911 barrel).

Actual load to load POI variance at practical distances is more closely related to recoil impulse, twist rate, bullet design, etc.  I know there's gonna be people who dispute me based on their experience, and none of what I've said covers every factor/situation, but I have tested perhaps 100k pistol rounds and hundreds of loads, just from a bench, over the years for accuracy, from 10-100yds and what I said above is an opinion based on that data and nothing more.

I am not in disagreement nor agreement: 

At Nationals in MT I think, there were very close targets with NS covering the body so only Headshots were available.  A lot of NS and Mikes were issued.  Yes, inside of ten yards.  Optic high over the axis of the bore?

Be my guess, high sight to bore.  I am having similar issue with my Pin gun... Bowling pins are at 29 feet. But I am maxed out on vertical adjust ment on my optic, and still a hair low, although it is dead on at  25 yards.
Using a frame mount at the moment, but honestly thinking of going to a slide mount.  Just seem to be really slow picking up the dot that high. Too man years of irons I guess.