Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wobble

Heath

I started shooting seriously in April of this year. Initially, went through about 3k rounds a month and improved pretty quickly. I took some time off last month and now my skills have dropped significantly. One problem that I'm having is breaking the second shot on a controlled pair. I've been shooting fairly inaccurately lately and think I've discovered why. I can track the sights just fine, and try to break the shot as the front sight settles into the notch. However, I've noticed that there is a significant amount of side-to-side wobble as the front sight settles back down. To get a hit with the second shit, I have to wait a long time for the movement to stop. I suspect that I may be over-gripping the gun and trying to fight the recoil.

I'd be interested to know of any kind of drills or practice regimes that I could utilize to eliminate this problem and improve accuracy overall. I can't come up with a quick solution other than to shoot more and at longer ranges.

I'm not good enough to give much shooting advice, but I will tell you that I've been working on something similar.

Do like I did yesterday and try something that Benos taught us. Draw the gun normally, like you are going to fire an "A" at 7-10yds. Look at how the sights are aligned. Now close your eyes and press or slap the trigger (whatever is normal for you). As soon as you feel the recoil is over and the gun is back on target, open your eyes.

When I did this I got so pissed at myself. The sights were perfectly aligned every time I opened my eyes. That means than I'm screwing-up my shooting by trying to do something that I don't need to.

If I could only figure out exactly what.

Thanks for the tips. I just read a description of what is happening on Matt Burkett's site under tips on recoil control. Tension is actually building in my strong hand while I'm shooting. I'm just going to have to do much more live fire practice to overcome this.

Heath,

I had this problem too, use the same or just a little less grip pressure in the right hand.....Add 30% more grip pressure with the left hand.....make sure the left thumb is putting pressure on the gun and not just bouncing around along the frame.

good luck with it, all grips are not the exact same but most are similar.

Hopalong