Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sport Pistol Powder opinions? A year later

PaladinPrecision

19 minutes ago, SteelCityShooter said:

So, I assume SP is slightly "slower" burning than TG as it would take another .1 or .2 grains to get the same velocity.  It does seem cooler burning that Titegroup.

The density of the two powders can certainly be independent of their burn rate. That’s a good rule of thumb, but it’s hardly definitive.

As an example from my own chrono data?

3.2 grains of titegroup = 130 PF

3.45 gr of the old Solo1000 = same PF

Solo is faster and softer than titegroup.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Actually density has nothing to do with it.  You measure powder by weight, not volume, so a lower or higher density just effects how full the case is, not how much energy it contains or how rapidly it supplies that energy.   

There seems to be a misconception among several posters on this forum that confuse density with weight and they are not the same.  

I expect it's because Titegroup and Solo 1000 have somewhat different chemical compositions with Titegroup being "double base" and I believe Solo is a single base powder.  So a given weight of TG contains more energy than the same weight of Solo and provides more velocity for the same weight.  That, rather than burning speed, seems to explain the difference.

I do know Sport Pistol is a single base powder and burns "cooler" than TG and also seem to need more of  for the same velocity.  

Just now, SteelCityShooter said:

I expect it's because Titegroup and Solo 1000 have somewhat different chemical compositions with Titegroup being "double base" and I believe Solo is a single base powder.  So a given weight of TG contains more energy than the same weight of Solo and provides more velocity for the same weight.  That, rather than burning speed, seems to explain the difference.

I do know Sport Pistol is a single base powder and burns "cooler" than TG and also seem to need more of for the same velocity.  

• 1 year later...
On 8/8/2018 at 8:37 PM, MikeyScuba said:

From what your reloading bench looks like no wonder!

Where are you getting Sport Pistol in Canada?  I’m reloading 9mm and 40sw.  I was using Titegroup, now N320, but it’s pricey!

10 hours ago, Drmike said:

Where are you getting Sport Pistol in Canada?  I’m reloading 9mm and 40sw.  I was using Titegroup, now N320, but it’s pricey!

https://www.westernmetal.ca/shooting-category/smokeless-powders

However I never used it, I use N320 and have a good stash.  The new stock federals are up $8-14 per case, I wonder what the new price of VV will be....ugh.

On 4/11/2020 at 8:24 AM, MikeyScuba said:

https://www.westernmetal.ca/shooting-category/smokeless-powders

However I never used it, I use N320 and have a good stash.  The new stock federals are up $8-14 per case, I wonder what the new price of VV will be....ugh.

Thanks, i have a supply of N320 right now, but its good to see that this stuff is cheaper than Titegroup at Western Metal