Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sport Pistol Powder opinions? A year later

PaladinPrecision

So Alliant Sport Pistol has been out a year or so now. I was just checking to see if anyone had more information. Some people were saying it was like N320 but at half the cost. Checking what people that have shot and tested it have to say a year later (before I buy 16 lbs ) lol. 

There are a good number of threads on this forum and elsewhere that discuss SP usual related to performance at minor PF in various handguns/PCC.  Have you searched?

I hope this powder is as good as the postings here have indicated as I just ordered an 8-pound jug from Midway.  I've been using Titegroup for both my 9 mm and .38 Sp reloads with both JHP and lead bullets but have no gone over almost exclusively to coated Blue Bullets.  ASP is supposed to be much cooler burning and easier on the coating.

I have bee using SP exclusively in my 9mm for minor loads for almost a year. I have used it for my 40 and will continue to use it for that caliber as well. Checking my data, temperature range of low 50’s to mid 90’s did not effect velocity. As I was looking through my data at my data there I noticed no discernible difference between the 2 lots of powder I have used. In my opinion it’s clean burning and it’s accurate out of both my 9mm and 40. The powder meters very well through my RCBS powder measure.

I’m glad I tried this powder. I see no reason to switch back to VVN320 or WST.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Former N320 user here and I've been using it now for about 4 months for 9mm afer my dealer ran out of big jugs of N320 and saying there was a shortage.  

I have to admit I won't be switching back to N320.  This is very similar and equal to it in everyway from what I can tell.  I have to say I think it may even be a bit cleaner than the N320.  It is my favorite powder now and as long as it works well for 40 when I make the switch this year I don't think I'll ever stop using it. 

I've gone back and forth between SP and Prima V. 

I can't tell the difference when loaded to the same power factor.

I'm using up the last of my Prima V and after it's gone will stick with SP from now on.

Not necessarily because I like SP better but it seems that the availability of Prima V comes and goes.

1 hour ago, ddc said:

I've gone back and forth between SP and Prima V. 

I can't tell the difference when loaded to the same power factor.

I'm using up the last of my Prima V and after it's gone will stick with SP from now on.

Not necessarily because I like SP better but it seems that the availability of Prima V comes and goes.

Didn't Prima V change formula?  Or there batches can varry a bit?  I thought I remembered that being an issue at one point.

If that's the case that would sway me toward SP too.

2 hours ago, CaliYeti said:

Didn't Prima V change formula?  Or there batches can varry a bit?  I thought I remembered that being an issue at one point.

If that's the case that would sway me toward SP too.

That's a good point. I had forgotten about that.

I only have experience with one batch number so can't comment other than that was a topic of conversation not too long ago.

Something to be aware of if you are a Prima V user though; thanks for the reminder.

17 hours ago, RickT said:

There are a good number of threads on this forum and elsewhere that discuss SP usual related to performance at minor PF in various handguns/PCC.  Have you searched?

Yes I did search, the thread you are talking about was started a year ago, part of the reason for the new thread "a year later"... I was hoping that guys like me that are more scientific about their methods would reply. It isn't like other people won't benefit given the inconsistent availability in the market with other similar pistol powders. Also, I am not sure if you have noticed but the phrasing in the search engine is very particular on this forum, especially for those of us that are uses to other more flexible search engines. 

Edited by PaladinPrecision

3 hours ago, PaladinPrecision said:

I would like to thank the other posters for their contributions. I will see if I can find a pound of it locally, not sure I am ready to buy 300 dollars worth for an online order (to absorb the hazmat fees)

Find someone else at your shooting club who needs powder... Easy way to get a big enough order to avoid hazmat...

I always can find someone wanting to buy an 8lb at free or shared hazmat (the good ol days of powder shortage)

On 8/6/2018 at 5:02 AM, PaladinPrecision said:

Our club has a pro shop that is WELL stocked and people don't typically want to order online. But not a bad idea. 

Reloaders are a cheap bunch... With free hazmat and 8lb jugs I'd buy if it saved me ten bucks, esp sales tax on out of state mail orders.

5 hours ago, armedmoose said:

Reloaders are a cheap bunch... With free hazmat and 8lb jugs I'd buy if it saved me ten bucks, esp sales tax on out of state mail orders.

Free hazmat?! where? lol That is probably the biggest reason I rarely mail order. Takes buying 16 lbs from powder valley to come out even.

5 hours ago, PaladinPrecision said:

Free hazmat?! where? lol That is probably the biggest reason I rarely mail order. Takes buying 16 lbs from powder valley to come out even.

16 lbs?!? I get nervous when I get down to 4  8 lb jugs of powder.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

16 lbs?!? I get nervous when I get down to 4  8 lb jugs of powder.

LOL, well I don't have much time anymore. I do have a lot more powder... not saying how much. That is just what I was going to order for THAT powder for my cheapie coated lead ammo. I can say I have more WSF than that right now lol. Just looking for a load I can run with mixed brass / not head stamp sort. WSF is great, but someone that runs a popular reloading company told me that I should take care with different head stamps for wsf in 9mm. 

19 hours ago, PaladinPrecision said:

As an example Brownells has .01 hazmat and free shipping today.

Code JBD

On 8/8/2018 at 3:04 PM, PaladinPrecision said:

Sorry for the short notice but Brownells offers free shipping and 1 cent Hazmat on orders over $150 until midnight tonight.

Code is "JDB"

I think I got the last of the Sport Pistol but it can be back-ordered.

OOPS, sorry I see that someone beat me to it by 6 hours.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Back to our regularly scheduled program.......   Anyway, I just loaded up a small batch 9 mm using 4.0 grains of Sport Pistol behind a 125 gr Blue Bullet coated RN at a COL of 1.148".   They chronographed slightly slower than 4.0 gr of Titegroup behind the same bullet and COL, about 50-70 fps slower from both my 5" M&P9 2.0 and my Ruger PCC.  So, I assume SP is slightly "slower" burning than TG as it would take another .1 or .2 grains to get the same velocity.  It does seem cooler burning that Titegroup.

Has anyone seen a powder burning rate chart that included Sport Pistol or knows where it fits in the current lists?    I can't find a chart one that includes it as I expect it hasn't been on the market long enough.