Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 Problem

My 650 just broke the plastic Ring Indexer when a shell stuck on the shellplate at the Ejector wire, a pioece of it fell out of the bottom of the machine. The GA State match is Saturday and I need to load some ammo. :o:blink:

Anyone else experienced this piece breaking? How is it to replace it. I have not taken anything apart yet.

Been there....... Done that............ got a greasy tee shirt.

You've got to take the platform off the main shaft. No big deal. It just takes a little time. Biggest pain in the butt is getting that indexer return spring to wrap around the main shaft. My fingers are too big to fit in that small space. Hope somebody else has an easy fix for it.

Hopefully you have the spare parts kit. If you do, the ring is in there. I did the same thing a few months ago, and of course, it is never convenient. Luckily, I did have the spare parts kit, so I was only out of commision for a half hour. Called dillon and they had an new one to me in a few days. They also included a stainless steel alignment pin, so it would go on straight. I had already replaced it without it and have loaded 3K rounds since then with no problems. If you call Dillon tomorrow morning, they should have it to you by Wednesday or Thursday. If you don't have the spare parts kit, now would be a good time to get it :) The actually replacement is pretty easy. Instructions are included from dillon, but you can figure it out without them.

The best thing I have found to put the index spring back on is one of the small picks that most tool stores and Harbor Freight sells. The one with the 90 degree end seems to work best. Pull the spring up to the peg that holds it then slide it up with a small screwdriver or another pick. I have had to change two or three of them. I tend to hit them with a wrench when changing the primer punch on my 650.

A small parts kit is a must have.

Have Dillon send you a index tool so that you get everything back in time. It will save you a lot of time.

Give us a call at Dillon. The broken ring indexer is under warranty. When you put it together, be sure to liberally grease the interior of the ring, and both camming surfaces. Do not use petroleum based solvents to clean any of the plastic parts,

and be sure the set screw that secures the shellplate bolt in position is snug. Another common cause for ring breakage is if the primer seat punch gets too dirty, and starts to stick upward. Every few thousand rounds remove this assembly and clean and relube it. :ph34r:

• 7 months later...

Use a piece of dental floss, you all floss don't you. hook one end on pin pull the other end around on the groove on main shaft. This hint is in written instructions with replacement indexer or alighnment tool that is also needed.