Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can primers get wet?

andrewtac

I have three boxes (6,000) primers that possibly got wet.  Not really submerged but wet.  Should I throw them out?  I can tell on the 100 packs which ones have obviously gotten wet.  It looks like just the 100 packs that were on the bottom.

Had a flood in my house few years ago, and wondered the same thing.

Got a note here that a guy (one of our BE members) used to work in a

primer factory, and as chevo mentioned, the priming material is put into

the cup WET - so, no problem if it gets wet, as long as it dries.

So far, I've had no problem lighting off my "wet" primers   :) 

Hmm, from the previous comments, the water isn't a problem.

It's what might have been in the water. I sorta think your primers were not soaked in distilled water.

Look them over when they're dry. I use CCI and the lead styphnate compound is a golden color. Going on the assumption all the primers use the same compound, it might be wise to see if the compound still has that gold color and not black or brown.

If the compound is soluble in water, then water has probably dissolved some of it away. There's probably a lot more primer in there than you strictly need, so you'll get away with losing a little of it.

Update for those who end up with the same problem.  I am using a loadmaster while I am waiting on my evo pro.  I use the mikes reloading primer system.  Evidently if the primers get wet they get sticky.  I was having issues with primers not dropping in and hanging up in the chute.  I trouble shot, broke some parts, cussed the machine about.  Finally decided to try a new box of primers, works perfect again.

• 2 weeks later...