Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 match ammo for 3 gun out to 500yds

i've been using black hills blue box 69g smk reloads.  happy with them but need to re-stock and wouldn't mind spending less.  

any feedback on the prvi match 69's?  what else works as good or better than the bh for 3 - 500yds but is less expensive?

i would like 68 - 69g vs 75 just as a little faster and closer to my scope's bdc lines (not that the 69's are close now...).

I've used PRVI 69gr quite a bit for 3gun.  They work great *if* your barrel likes them.  Consistent and accurate.  Only reason I'm not using them anymore is because the barrel I'm using now likes 77gr better.

I've tried both the 69 gr. and 75 gr. Prvi rounds, and my barrel didn't like either of them very much. Your mileage may vary, obviously.

In terms of match-grade ammo that's less expensive than Black Hills reman, you actually have quite a few options. Both ADI Australian Outback 69 gr. SMK and CBC/Magtech 77 gr. SMK loads can frequently be found for between 50 and 60 cents per round, and I've had excellent luck with both. IMI's Razorcore line includes 69 gr. and 77 gr. options as well, and they can be found on sale for slightly less than the ADI and CBC stuff, but didn't work quite as well for me. PMC 77 gr. has a lower muzzle velocity than most brands of match ammo, but seemed to group pretty well for me, and you can find it in the 50 cents per round range if you catch it on sale.

No personal experience with it, but lots of folks seem to like the Hornady Steel Match 75 gr. rounds. Typically, they're about 40 cents per round, and I don't think you can get preloaded match-grade ammo for any less than that.

I never could get Privi to shoot out of either of my rifles. Black Hills and FGMM where the best and most consistent. In the end it was better for me to roll my own. Hornady did very well also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

American Eagle 75 grain TMJ is working well out of my LANTAC 14.5" barrel (2518 FPS).  Hitting targets out to 550 so far.  I've got a batch of Hornady Steel Training ammo that uses 75 grain BTHP projectiles (2500 FPS).  They cost about 5 cents less than the AE rounds, but Ive not had a chance to test them at distance.

1 hour ago, davsco said:

anyone trying/liking the hornady 68g hpbt frontier match?  looks to be sub $.45/round.

I'm in the process of getting some to try.  The Hornady rep says it can be had cheaper than the Steel Training ammo.....