Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gonna Get Educated In Ipsc Wheelgunning

Jerry V

Met up with Dan tonight at the registration for the Columbia-Cascade Section match .... great guy ;) . Showed him around the range, checked out the stages and just did a lot of BS'ing. Went to one of the shooting bays to do some practicing, got to shoot his 625, I now know why their considered better IPSC revolver than the 610 ... nice gun. Let him shoot my 617 (10 shot) and he did what everyone who shoots it does 1) Laugh and say "Man that's a lot of fun" 2) "Gotta get one of these" 3) "Heck ya I'll shoot that again

It was a good warm up for Sat. & Sun ....... gonna be fun :P

--- Jerry

A little update:

Just got back, our first day was 6 stages at Tri-Country range -- hot, little shade in a rock quarry but the stages are great. Their technical and fairly revolver friendly, only a couple standing reloads.

Dan's easily leading the Revolver Div., with me a little ways back in 2nd (ok a long ways back) and no one in 3rd. It great to watch a wheelgunner as good as Dan run these stages, I've already learned a lot.

Dan said to tell everyone HI and that he's glad none of you are here to see how lousy he's shooting, especially Hop. Personally I don't know what he's talking about ......... well, there was the FTE, a couple of mikes here and there and the no-shoot, or was it two :huh:

I think he's shooting great, but what do I know, I'm just a rookie :rolleyes:

Tomorrow 5 more stages at Dundee range, including the ...... Jungle Run :D

Later, Jerry

A little update:

Dan said to tell everyone HI and that he's glad none of you are here to see how lousy  he's shooting, especially Hop :o . Personally I don't know what he's talking about ......... well, there was the FTE :wacko: , a couple of mikes here and there and the no-shoot, or was it two :huh:

Tomorrow 5 more stages at Dundee range, including the ...... Jungle Run  :D

Later, Jerry

Tell Dan that while he's there, I'm here and tomorrow I get a chance to be top revolver while he's up there enteraining you guys...tell him good luck and count your moons before he leaves....

mike sousa

A little update:

Dan said to tell everyone HI and that he's glad none of you are here to see how lousy  he's shooting, especially Hop :o . Personally I don't know what he's talking about ......... well, there was the FTE :wacko: , a couple of mikes here and there and the no-shoot, or was it two :huh:

Tomorrow 5 more stages at Dundee range, including the ...... Jungle Run  :D

Later, Jerry

Tell Dan that while he's there, I'm here and tomorrow I get a chance to be top revolver while he's up there enteraining you guys...tell him good luck and count your moons before he leaves....

mike sousa

Well dang, maybe I'll shoot Revo instead of Prod... ;)

Vince

Well Jerry, I'm at least glad somebody's there to keep ol' Danbagger honest.

I'm momentarily leading the Revo point series, and didn't like seeing him pick up 100 freebie points just for showing up totally unopposed at that dang Northern Cal Section match! I suspect he shot one stage and then went back home to his garage where he could practice his reloads without being bothered.

;)

Well, the match is over and Dan's on his way home. He really impressed everyone in our squad of what a dedicated wheelgunner can do. There was plenty of comments made when Dan was shooting that reflected this. I truely apprecient Dan taking the time & patience to work with me and explain what I need to do to take it to the next level and I will do so.

Serious mode off :huh:

Mike you bring a good point, on the classifier (99-55) his time was really good, but he got mike on the first target. He explained it as a simple mistake -- shot too fast or something, but now I'm thinking that's how got his nickname .... Danbagger :P

It was a great time and I'll let Dan tell everyone about the Jungle Run.... it was sooooo cool B)

--- Jerry

Mike you bring a good point, on the classifier (99-55) his time was really good, but he got mike on the first target. He explained it as a simple mistake -- shot too fast or something, but now I'm thinking that's how got his nickname .... Danbagger :P

Wow, what an odd coincidence! When Dedicated Dan flew out here to shoot the Iowa Sectional with me earlier in the summer, he just happened to have a miss on CM 99-11. He explained it as a simple mistake -- shot too fast or something....

;)

Jerry......great having you and Dan on my squad.

Carmoney.........as I told Dan today....the only 2 point series matches that I've shot this year (4 and counting) where I had serious fun was Iowa Sectional and this weekend in the Columbia Cascade.....Dan was on my squad both times......concidence? Very cool guy......no offense but I'm routing for him big time in the point series chase.

You lost him on the "IOWA" part.

Minnesotan's dont like to be called Iowa'ns. A mistake i made thinking he was from your state. Big OOOPPPPSSS!!!!

It was great to see Lee there.

I think Jerry V has seen the "light", revolver style. He'll be back for more.

Other than that " I SUCKED". Worst match I've shot this year.

Gonna take a 2week break from shooting and start getting ready for the SC if work permits.

Dan

You lost him on the    "IOWA" part.

Minnesotan's dont like to be called Iowa'ns. A mistake i made thinking he was from your state. Big OOOPPPPSSS!!!!

It was great to see Lee there.

I think Jerry V has seen the "light", revolver style. He'll be back for more.

Other than that  " I SUCKED". Worst match I've shot this year.

Gonna take a 2week break from shooting and start getting ready for the SC if work permits.

Dan

I've heard Lee tell an Iowa joke, or two.

Lee it was great meeting you and glad you were in our squad, hopefully we can do it again.

Dan hopefully your flight home went ok and you do need a little rest, you were looking a little ragged yesterday.

Thanks again Dan, it was great

--- Jerry

Note: I edited the post after rereading the above, was still rather tired this morning and was way off. Later Dan had emailed quote: "the Glock is no-more. This Revolver country!!!!!"

What more is there to say :D

Edited by Jerry V

Jerry,

Glad you enjoyed the match !!!!

While on the bottom end of the learning curve of shooting myself I ran into my now shooting "buddy, coach, partner" ect.

He was at the time on a 6 month break from "dedicated" shooting and had just made Limited GM and had been Open GM for a while, he also started shooting this stuff in the 70's.

When you run into these guys that can make they type of gun you are shooting look really simple to shoot it does 2 things....

1 Opens your eyes to what is possible (inspirational) :)

2 Shows you how much there is to do to get there (Humble pie to say the least) <_<

EVERYONE started this shooting stuff not knowing what to do, how to get the skills up and so forth. EVEN Dan, Jerry Miculek, Rob Leatham, Brian Enos....and the list goes on.....

Getting to see a good shooter in the act does a person good, but can also be intimidating.... I know I have been there (and still am in more ways than 1)

Revolvers are not that much different than autopistols, fun to shoot both...

Go find you an accomplished auto pistol shooter and pick their brain.... :blink:

Get Brians book, Get Steve Andersons Dry Fire book....Brians book is pretty deep, it may take several times through (will) to pick that stuff up.

The biggest thing in Revolver shooting USPSA/IPSC is Stage breakdown, then maybe the reload..... talk with the good shooters in the club, get them to help with stage breakdown.... for them it is where to reload once or twice, for us it is to efficiently break a large stage into small stages to use the "6 shots" wisely. :wacko:

Keep at it, there are not many who have the dedication, stuborrness and desire to excell at this action pistol game with a revolver.... but the ones that do........ ;)

Hopalong / Sam Keen

Thanks Hop,

I will admit that a couple weeks before the the match, I had made up my mind to concentrate on steel for a while with a IPSC match now and then. I wasn't really improving, in fact was backsliding and wasn't enjoying it very much. I told Dan my plan on Friday and by Sunday the "plan" was in the crapper. I owe it to Dan's patience and just being a example of what can be done with a revolver in the sport (I used to call it just a game) note the change of attitude

He identified the things I needed to change:

1) Modify the gun, my 610 is basically stock with exception of chambered holes and Wolff springs. I'm lightening the hammer, trigger stop and polishing the action.

2)Get away from conservitive shooting style and get aggressive & fast.

3)Though I had gone to a weak hand reload 2 weeks before the match, he showed me what I was doing wrong. The reload now coming together, just need lots of practice.

4)Go to 40s&w brass --- brass is ordered

It was how smooth he ran the stages and the reloads that got me fired up about taking it to the next level and wanting to be able to do the same. But what really turned it around was our last stage ... the Jungle Run (aka Hawaii 50). It's a run along small stream w/14 IPSC targets at "blow the tape off the target" distance. Dan came up to me and said "Don't hold back" and I didn't.... that was so cool.

Next goal.... See you at National's ;)(ok, maybe in 2yrs)

---- Jerry

Sounds good Jerry, only thing is ..... See you at Nationals next year !!!!! :)

To be honest with you the funnest Nationals I have shot was the one where I did not think there was a chance in H**l for me to even have a go at class placement !!! ;)

Since then, I some how had this thing about wanting to do good.......... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Nationals are what you make of them, as is any match. B)

I have enjoyed the social aspect of these matches as much or more than the shooting for the last 2 or 3 years. :rolleyes:

Have fun with it, that is what it all started out as (supposedly). :blink:

SAM

Oh yeah, round nose bullets..... I used the Precision 165 grn when I used a 610 !!

Thanks Hop, but with my daughter graduating from HS and then starting college next year, everything kinda in a "lets see mode". I do intend to go to Area 1 next year, especially since it will be 2hrs from where I live. There was 12 revolvers there this year, hopefully more next year. At the CC Sectional, goal is to get 90% of Dan's score (he promised he'd be back) and beat him on a couple stages. How's that for some goals.

You are right, it's the social aspect thats the most important, it's really the part that we take home us that lasts ;)

Sure I'll give Precision bullets a try, but the Berry 180gr RN I use are a true round nose. I gave some to Dan to try in his 610, so perhaps he'll report his opinion of them.

Thanks again for the advice, it does help.

---- Jerry