Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Five, Ten, Fifteen

dirtypool40

One of the other Eric's and I (there are a lot of us on here) were talking about how there isn't a lot of talk about drills. So I figured I'd add a couple of simple ones anyone should be able to set up.

This one is easy; three targets, spaced like El Prez, and you stand centered in front of the center target. Stagger them back at 5, 10 and 15y. Hands relaxed or surrender, whatever you prefer. Gear and class please. Draw and go one way, six shots. Experiement with which is faster, long to short or vice cersa.

I'll start.

Lim / Standard "M".

Anything with a lot of points and sub 2.10 is pretty good for me. Several runs yesterday down around 1.80, but all of them had a "D". There doesn't seem to be much difference going near to far or far to near. I make it up on the draw on the close start and transitions and splits the reverse. Draw to the 5y target was running around .85, and around 1.0 to the 15y.

I still can't figure out why but I shoot this, or just hosing across three targets faster than I can a regular boring old "bill drill". I hit a couple of 1.82's yesterday and that's faster than I can just hose six out of the gun at 10y. hmmm.

• 9 months later...

I gave this a shot today and here's what I came out with.

L-10 B/ Limited C , G22 from a CR Speed Rig

Short to Long

2.84 Down 2

Long To Short

2.88 Down 0

Almost the same time on both. I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be or what but that's all I could manage. I ran it about 3 times both ways.

JOe

• 1 month later...

Okay, if you like that one try my favorite practice drill.

Start with 4 magazines, 1 in the gun and 3 on the belt.

2 targets about 5 feet apart.

10 yards distance.

Hands at side

Draw and fire two rounds each target.

reload

2 ea target

reload

2 ea target

reload

2 ea target

Total of 16 rounds for 80 points.

This drill lets you practice draws, splits, transitions and reloads.

I am a "B" limited shooter and I can run it in just under 10 seconds consistently with decent hits.

Best ever was just over 9 sec.

Let me know how it works out for you.

I would like some feedback for comparison's sake.

Tony

Edited by tlshores

This one is easy; three targets, spaced like El Prez, and you stand centered in front of the center target. Stagger them back at 5, 10 and 15y. Hands relaxed or surrender, whatever you prefer. Gear and class please. Draw and go one way, six shots. Experiement with which is faster, long to short or vice cersa.

I'll start.

Lim / Standard "M".

Anything with a lot of points and sub 2.10 is pretty good for me. Several runs yesterday down around 1.80, but all of them had a "D".

I still can't figure out why but I shoot this, or just hosing across three targets faster than I can a regular boring old "bill drill". I hit a couple of 1.82's yesterday and that's faster than I can just hose six out of the gun at 10y. hmmm.

Ben - I highlited that it is only six shots, going one way and NO RELOADS so we don't stray too far off course in modifying it for comparison.

I haven't tried this drill since I set it up back in Aug and started this thread, but those were real times. I'm headed out to the range tomorrow to set up the stages for Saturday, I think I'll revisit this one and see where I am now.

Still, I'd say 2 seconds is doable if you get a good jump and index well. The 5&10y targets are almost all index. :rolleyes: I guess it "averages" into a 10y bill drill, more or less.

OK, so I may sing a different tune once I've tried it again. :unsure:

I was only kidding with you man. I am sure you did it. My quick times were around 2.1.... Not any of this 1.8 sillyness that you were doing.

I should say that it was lots easier to start far and come back in as opposed to starting in close and working out farther.

well, to make sure I hadn't let my $50 mouth over run my $2 azz, I shot this today mid practice session. I shot it maybe six or eight times, going N to F and F to N.

First runs were in the 2.5 range, as I had been shooting partials at 18y and was geared too slow. Lotta points but too careful.

Seemed to groove around 2.15 (so we're in the same ballpark Ben). I went 2.02 twice and had a best of 1.99.

My draw was tense all day, trying to go too fast. The gun never seemed to jump to the point I wanted. Anyway with a quick 1.0 draw to the 15y target, I'd say a 1.8x is possible.

No, I would not bet I could do it cold, or every time, but I think it's possible.

Back during well practriced times down South, my draw was crisp and clean, I looked and the sights appeared there. I could average around 1.0 for good first shot at 15y. I'm not there yet, but I'll get back there soon.......damnit.

Edited by dirtypool40

I almost forgot, I threw in a reload between each target to really punish myself.

Damn...Thats smoking! Draw and shoot 2 and reload, shoot 2 and reload and 2 final shots. Is this what you did in 2.8..+? :huh:

$hit no, I wish. I haven't looked at this thread in a while. I don't remember how fast it was like that Merlin I just did it that way to work in reload practice without burning a bunch of ammo. My bad.

JOe

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I ran this yesterday quite a few times. I had my targets spaced 3 yards wide and had painted hardcover on each, leaving only the upper A zone (1/2)...So my times won't reflect what the others have, since i didn't space them out like dirtypool did.

Best i could manage was 3.14 With all A hits...Front to back, back to front i ended up with the same time. It felt smoother and easier going far to near. Draws were in the 1.3 range on the far target.

A Limited shooter.