Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Greetings from Alabama

Adamj

Hi,

My name is Adam Johnson. I am 29, recently married, from Montgomery Alabama. I have been a long-time lurker here as I've tried to gear up for USPSA, 3-Gun, and Steel Challenge matches. The information you guys have provided has been the most insightful and informative of any place I've read online and I'm happy to contribute any way I can, but my credit cards and bank account hates every... single... one... of... you.

I haven't shot a single USPSA or 3-Gun match and I'm completely outfitted - all purchased pre-marriage as I now understand the numerous posts about  permission or shamefully hiding the true cost of some custom firearm. In all seriousness though I'm looking forward to adding to the discussion that has helped me out so much. 

-Adam Johnson

Edited by Adamj

Adam, welcome from PA.

Not knowing what your skills and/or interests are it is hard to say but in my opinion it is difficult to be good at USPSA, 3-Gun, and Steel Challenge without having a lot of previous experience or a lot of time to devote to learning the skills. For me (and my wife of 33 years) our kids are on their own, I have some spare time and desire to achieve at least a smidgeon of success and our incomes are fairly decent. I shoot 2 of the 3 you mention but I run as far as I can from 3 gun as there is only so much time and money available. Outside of the time, for 3 gun getting a good shotgun is a stumbling point then setting aside additional time to train. But 3 gun for me might be another one of the competitions for you. My personal feeling is get good a one then move to the next and so on, having the tackle is part of the problem but there is more to it than just that. Hopefully you already handload your own ammo. If not that is another thing that will cost money and take up time.

Nice to have you onboard Adam.

Welcome from Coastal AL.  You shouldn't have any trouble finding matches near you.  I know CAGC in Shorter and EAGC in Phenix City both have monthly USPSA matches.  So does DGC in Dothan, but that may be a little far for you to drive.

6 hours ago, TennJeep1618 said:

Welcome from Coastal AL.  You shouldn't have any trouble finding matches near you.  I know CAGC in Shorter and EAGC in Phenix City both have monthly USPSA matches.  So does DGC in Dothan, but that may be a little far for you to drive.

Dothan might be just little out of my range but I've been looking at the other clubs for USPSA matches. I've also been told that Mobile has maybe the most active USPSA revolver shooters in the state. I might make a weekend out of shooting a match down there. 

4 hours ago, MarilynMonbro said:

Welcome Adam

I am also in the area. CAGC in Shorter is a great place to shoot. Brocks Gap in Hoover also has some good matches

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have been shooting the outlaw steel matches at CAGC off and on for the past year. Since it's in my backyard I think I'm going to start there with USPSA. Brock's Gap will be my next stop for sanctioned steel matches and 3 gun. Good to know there is another Forum member shooting in my area

Dothan might be just little out of my range but I've been looking at the other clubs for USPSA matches. I've also been told that Mobile has maybe the most active USPSA revolver shooters in the state. I might make a weekend out of shooting a match down there. 
We have 2 people that shoot revolver at nearly every match.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Compared to central alabama clubs that's a large turnout for the revolver division. At least looking at practiscore it appears that revolver is pretty much dead in my area. I guess I'll need to look those guys up to have a rough benchmark of my progress. 

Brocks Gap and Talladega both run monthly matches for the types you mentioned.

Brooks prac tact is multigun but not always 3 gun. It is a fun match and beginner friendly. Talladega does a great 3 gun match that is fun and can be a little more challenging. Both are well worth your time, have great guys running the matches and friendly competitors. Also both ranges occasionally run other multi gun type events. Check their calendars.

USPSA is supposedly strong at both ranges

Steel Challenges nationals were just at Talladega and Brocks runs a great steel challenge the 3rd weekend of the month Saturday and Sunday.