Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M3k stock chokes? Keep or upgrade?

Cavediver

The title says it all!

I've ordered an M3k, hopefully it'll be in hand for a match next weekend.  Are the stock chokes OK, or should I source some replacements between now and then?  Most of the stages are 25 yards and under, typically shooting at clays or 3" steel plates on rebar stands.  Max distance for this match is likely to be 45 yards, maybe with an aerial clay or two. 

I think the M3K comes with Cylinder, IC, and Modified, right? If so, I'd say you're pretty much set for most distances. 45 yards with birdshot starts to get a little sketchy, depending on the target type, but personally speaking, I've never run into a stage that required anything tighter than a Mod, and I tend to just leave an IC in there like 80% of the time. 

You almost certainly don't need to buy new ones before the first match. Aftermarket chokes from a quality manufacturer will probably pattern a little more consistently than the stock chokes, but they're not going to hold you back at all. You also might want to consider eventually picking up some additional chokes to fill out the collection a bit (e.g., getting an LM to have something between IC and Mod to fine-tune your pattern if you want to), but you probably don't need those any time soon.

Some good notes on the subject by someone who knows much more about it than I do:

https://ammoguru.com/pats-notes-field-shotgun-chokes-3gunner/

I've kept my IC choke in my M3K for the first couple matches this year - haven't seen a real need to change it out.  

MOA Precision recently partnered up with Carlson and they've added them to their website:  http://moaprecision.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=carlsonchoke&cat=7&page=1&search=&since=0&status=&title=

Worth a look if you're interested in additional chokes.  I'm thinking about picking up a skeet one...

Good deal.  I'll keep what I've got (for now ?), and maybe look for a light modified along the way.  Now, here's to hoping the gun arrives in time for me to practice at least one night before the match!  (It's just a club level outlaw match, but I still want to make a good showing!)

Thanks!

(Great article BTW!  Lots of good info there!)

Nothing wrong with the stock chokes! As long as the choke is round and the amount of construction is what you want, you will find that ammo choice will far outstrip any "precived" benefit you might get from any aftermarket choke!

I run my factory IC choke at least 90% of the time.  I've run the Mod choke a few times when there were some tight clay no shoots and I'll pop in the C if it's a close hoser stage, but quite a few times I just run IC on those as well.

For what its worth, the Stoeger website shows the M3K comes with three chokes; Extended C, IC, and M. The new M3K Freedom Series has a Wrench, Extended C, Extended IM, and Extended IC. You can follow the link https://www.stoegerindustries.com/m3k-3-gun-shotgun I'm assuming the extended versions are needed because of the 10 round mag tube.

Does the M3K come with a choke wrench? It is not in the description but the FS has one listed.

Edited by toeheadAR

• 3 weeks later...