Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with 9mm bulge

tyman1876

55 minutes ago, bowenbuilt said:

There are a lot of people who believe that crooked bullet seating is the fault of the expander die. The expander die has absolutely nothing to do with this. 

I am not so sure. When I first started loading on a 550 I tried to smooth out the process by using a 1050 powder actuator instead of a regular powder funnel. There was no expander function at all with the actuator. Not one bullet seated straight during that brief experiment.

2 hours ago, Sarge said:

I am not so sure. When I first started loading on a 550 I tried to smooth out the process by using a 1050 powder actuator instead of a regular powder funnel. There was no expander function at all with the actuator. Not one bullet seated straight during that brief experiment.

At the other extreme is the Mr Bullet Feeder powder funnel, it puts a straight step into the top of the brass (as well as a flare) so that when the bullet drops from the feeder die it goes deeper (and straighter) into the case, the crimp die smooths everything out. I don't normally pick up my brass at a match so I don't know if the affects how many times they can be reloaded.

14 minutes ago, Bkreutz said:

At the other extreme is the Mr Bullet Feeder powder funnel, it puts a straight step into the top of the brass (as well as a flare) so that when the bullet drops from the feeder die it goes deeper (and straighter) into the case, the crimp die smooths everything out. I don't normally pick up my brass at a match so I don't know if the affects how many times they can be reloaded.

Yep, MBF funnel works great.

12 hours ago, Sarge said:

Had you been using an actual expander die you might have an argument. 

3 hours ago, bowenbuilt said:

Had you been using an actual expander die you might have an argument. 

You said expanders have nothing to do with crooked bullets. By me not using one proves they do.

My original statement about expanders is only true if you use one. This would be the die that bells the case mouth and moves the rough edge of the case away from the bullet before you attempt to seat it. If you try reloading without the use of an expander die for pistol rounds good luck on getting the bullet seated without crushing the case or the many other problems or extra steps associated with this venture. Once the case has been belled/expanded for a pistol round it is up to the seating die to make sure the bullet is seated straight and true. That is all i have to say on the subject. 

2 hours ago, ddc said:

So are we talking about the pros/cons of using a powder funnel in the powder measure to flare as opposed to using a dedicated flaring die?

Flaring on a Dillon is accomplished with the powder funnel.

12 minutes ago, Bkreutz said:

Flaring on a Dillon is accomplished with the powder funnel.

I understand. I am confused if the more recent comments were referring to flaring with a dedicated die. Probably thread drift. Disregard my question.