Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optimal Barrel Length for Precision Bolt Guns- .308 & 6.5CM

RobE1010

I am looking for any advice or insight as to the optimal barrel length for a couple future precision bolt-action rifles, a .308Win and a 6.5CM. These rifles will both be used for recreational target shooting, potential PRS matches, as well as some occasional hunting. I plan to shoot these rifles both suppressed (SilencerCo Chimera & Gemtech TheOne) and unsuppressed using factory & reloaded ammo. I do also have access to both property and ranges where I can shoot from as close as 100yds out to as far as 1500yds. 

I would appreciate any advice and insight you can give me. Any pics/vids with your own setup(s) and results would be a big help as well. Thanks in advance.

The problem with making a hybrid hunting/PRS rifle is it'll either be 10lbs too heavy for one or 10lbs too light for the other. I've shot a few high level shooters rifles and every one of them weighs 19+ lbs. If you go to a match and look at all the guys in the top ten you'll spot the trend. They also like 24-28" barrels, even suppressed. I'm told that has more to do with adding weight and forward balance than it does with velocity.

the trend is going back to lighter rifles for PRS.  with the new smaller caliber rounds with lower recoil, guys are going with lighter rifles.  they are using the longer barrels for velocity.  PRS is turning into uspsa open class equipment race.  a few years ago when everyone was shooting 308, they were making the rifles heavier to be more forgiving with recoil and sloppy fundamentals.  now guys are using the smaller calibers to compensate.  it's generally accepted that 24" is the standard.  but some guys are using 20" to get into and out of position better.  others want the velocity to cut the wind better.  it really depends on what you want out of the rifle.  if you want to do a hybrid, i'd say 20", remington varmint contour or med palma or marksman contour.  if your going to be shooting past 1000 mostly, i'd go 6.5 24".  600 yds and in mostly, 20".  but then again, we go back to do you want velocity or maneuverability even at 6-800yds?  are you chasing every advantage you can get or are you willing to make up for with better wind calls?  caliber.....that's a can of worms lol.  ford/chevy...9/45...sig/glock...  stricktly PRS, i'd say 6.5 or 6mm.  if you research the 6.5 for hunting, most people say the 6.5 is good, but they always stress shot placement when using the 6.5.

i just sold a GA precision hospitaller in 308 that weighed 18ish pounds.  24" m40 contour with deep flutes in a manners T4A.  i want to go lighter...maybe 12ish pounds.

if you are looking for a good education, come visit us on snipershide.com.  the answer to your questions lies in 10s of thousands of pages of info.  i read the hide every day and learn new shit every day.  i'm way more into rifles than i am pistols.  i have the same user name as well.

t0zkG8V.jpg

lGwvbv2.jpg

Edited by corey4

Thanks to all of you for your replies and advice. I will definitely check out SnipersHide as well for additional info and ideas too. 

I am currently leaning towards going with a 24" 1:10 in .308Win, I already have a 20" Savage 10 FCP-SR for a more maneuverable & lighter option. Most likely I will also be using said 20" setup for any hunting and sub-600yds shooting. 

As for the 6.5CM, I'm torn between a 24" RPR or a 26" Savage 12 LRP.