Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA PCC classifier

rowdyb

So shot it for the first time today. I am obviously not as good with a pcc as I am with a pistol. But here you get to see the whole thing as I progress through it. Some of this is covered in the video but I'll delineate it here as well.

-shoot zero points down the first two stages. give yourself a time and pd cushion to spend on stage 3.

-use an optic with variable power if your eyes can't see things at 50 yards like mine can't

-if a dot, use a smaller moa dot. i used an 8 moa here and the dot completely covered the down zero zone at 50 yards. a decided loss of precision.

-put your targets against a contrasting background. again, at 50 yard give yourself some sort of help when indexing to the targets.

-practice off hand shooting at 50 yards.

My raw time was 51 without really pushing. With appropriate points down, that's MA territory. But I shot 15 points (out of 16 total) on stage 3, which pushed me clear back to SS!! Hits over speed.

Video removed as I did part of it wrong. Sigh.....

Edited by rowdyb

Stage 3 String 1:

What is the definition of offhand in IDPA? 

Being old school I think it means standing, not kneeling, not prone, unsupported by the barricade, shooting off of the hands.

I don't think it necessarily means weak hand as in the video.

I'm not really an IDPA rules guy so I could be wrong.

Edited by TxD
addition

you know what, i may very well be wrong myself! hahahaha. I bet you are right! dang it, now I need to do this again. freak.

never mind me people, i am dumb. removing video until i fix it.

17 May 2018 01:02 #13 2018-05-17T06:02
So I shot the IDPA PCC classifier last Saturday for the first time.

Not a bad course of fire. I think stage II at 25 yards could be improved by the use of a high barricade for cover, and have the shooter's lateral movement be to cover instead of just from shooting position to shooting position.

I dropped a few hits shooting around cover at 50 yards. Gotta practice multiple target engagement from around cover some more.

A few of the local PDs bought Marlin or Ruger or Colt 9mm carbines as a replacement for the shotgun back in the early 90s. All of the departments in our county have now replaced the carbines or shotguns with 5.56mm rifles of some variety. A few departments did go with the Ruger Mini-14 for cost reasons originally but to my knowledge everybody has been running AR platform guns for years.

I have one of the Colt R6430 9mm carbines that I bought in 1992. They are great fun to shoot, and I can shoot them on steel plates and on the local indoor range without fear of damaging the equipment. If I wanted to do the same practice with one of my regular ARs, I'd have to buy frangible ammo at $350 a case. So the carbine still gets lots of use.

I have been shooting it in local USPSA matches a little bit in the Pistol Caliber Carbine Class. I know many guys who have recently done builds on AR type 9mm carbines and some that have purchased carbines of other configurations. They are very much enjoying researching which trigger group and compensator and which optic to put on their new projects and what bullet weight to use for reloading and all that. I’m just happy to shoot my entirely stock Colt 9mm with NATO spec ammo I get on sale from Midway USA or Natchez Shooter's Supply.
Edited by Jeff22

I shot the clasifier last weekend.

It didn't start out well.

I shot the first target, with 2 to the body, and one to the head, then, went back to low ready. Then it hit me that all three targets were supposed to be one string. DUH!!

I THOUGHT I missed one of the head shots, so on the next string, I put 4 shots in to the head I THOUGHT I'd missed, figuring a 3 second procedural was better than a 5 second miss.

Well, when we went down to score the targets, one had an extra hit.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 6:39 AM, rowdyb said:

Yeah I spotted another error in my video so I'm glad i took it down. I'll probably res hoot it this afternoon and hopefully have a better go at it.

Add this to the list of videos you can be shooting with your MPX. ;)