Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Father

GrumpyOne

My Dad passed away this afternoon. He was 89. 

This will sum up my Dad.

Once, after I was grown, I sat down with him one afternoon, and asked him several questions.

I asked him, "Why didn't you kill me when I broke stuff, lost stuff, or got into trouble when I was younger?"

His answer was "How could I have gotten mad at you for doing stuff that I did as a kid? That would be hypocritical. And, as long as you are still alive, everything else can be fixed or replaced." 

He taught me so much growing up, that I never realized how much he taught me until many years later. One of his favorite sayings was, "Nothing is impossible, just improbable. It might be difficult, it might take longer than you want it to take, but set your mind to it, and you will find a way to do anything that you need to do". He taught me to think outside of the box, not to conform to others thinking just because it was easy, but to make up my own mind, to be my own man, to find my own way. He never got mad or angry when I screwed something up because, as he would tell me many times over the course of my growing up "I don't care if you messed up because of ignorance, that means that you didn't know any better....but don't do stupid things. Ignorance can be cured, but if you do stupid things now, you're likely to do stupid things the rest of your life"

He was an avid outdoorsman, gardener, tinkerer, and a member of the 101st AB. He is on the far right in the picture.

March 12, 1929 - May 9, 2018

20171213_191943.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Grump,

I feel your pain my Brother.  Thanks for the comments on me losing my Father-In-Law

yesterday.  He was a WW2 Infantry Veteran.  I love the picture, looks like your Dad has

got the girl:).  May your memories be many and your tears be tears of joy.  God Bless.