Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

357 Sig Major Instead Off 9mm

movaughn

Would it not be easier to push the 357 SIG into major than 9mm? looking at the reloading data it would seem to be. I have an xd9 and an xd40 and I would think think that it would only take a barrel swap in one of them. Yes or no?

Why would you want to make major w/ a 9mm bullet in an XD? Building an Open gun on one?? You can't shoot in Production or Limited/L-10 at Major w/ a 9mm bullet.

Probably easier to make Major w/ .357 SIG - but 9x19 seems to not have any issues getting there w/ the right recipes (9x21 loads in short loaded guns is essentially the same thing).

Yes and no, or even better, why? 9mm(357 sig is a 9mm) can be major only in open div. 40. is the mimiun cal. for major in limited or L10. Your xds are not good canidates to ever be competive in open. For carry or defensive uses handloads are a poor choice, lots of potential leagle trouble there. Then throw in that 357 sig brass is expensive and hard to find and its a pita to reload and minor 9x19 is almost too cheap to reload. With your xds if you wish to compete with major pf loads .40 in L10 is the only way to go.------Larry

Why? +2

The .357 Sig is essentially the 9x25 in a .40 case rather than a 10 mm case. You "could" make major power factor, the question is why would you want to do it that way? If you are shooting open you are capacity limited, and if you are shooting Limited/ Limited 10/ Production you would be scored minor anyway.

Are you trying to make major in L-10 and Limited?

If so, like lkytx said, According to the rule book: Minimum caliber to make major is .40/10mm.

If you are trying to make major just for the heck of it, then all 3 calibers will make it. 9mm is just a little harder out of a 5" gun, but some +P+ stuff will do the trick.

If you are trying to convert a gun into an open gun, then 9mm will be the way to go. The .357sig will limit the number of cases you can get into a magazine.

What are you trying to do?????

STOP!!! So far you have asked about major 9mm loads for a xd and a 5in sf tactical. Why are you trying to do this? Reading what you have posted today and yesterday on this forum you are new to reloading and maybe even handgun shooting. In another thread I just read you ask for a pressure est. for a 9mm load that was 70000 PSI. This is dangerous stuff. For the purposes of sport and competion shooting the stuff you are are asking is useless at best and dangerous at worst. 9mm major loads are out on the ragged edge and for experenced reloaders only! If you want to play with this stuff get some reloading books and do a lot of reading on the basics first, then start at the bottom. You get to keep your fingers and eyes a lot longer that way.-----Larry

.357 sig brass goes for about the same $$ as 40 brass.

that being said, if your worried about pressure, the 40 would be the way to go.

if you want max capacity, the 38 super comp is it.

if you want maximum cheapness, and still have the capacity, 9mm major.

that 70+KPSI load someone asked about is SCARY!

especially when winchesters 127 SXT load makes 172 power factor in my glock and they say it stays under the 42.5KPSI max for 9mm+P+

[joke] Lets see if we can get some 110KPSI major 9mm loads with C4 and 88 grain 380 auto bullets [/joke]

Just curious, I have been reloading since the earily 70's. I have shot IHMSA, IDPA, Steel Challange, and IPSC. I just find it interesting that people want to reload such a small round so hot. I would much rather shoot 38 super, 9X21, or 9X23 than hot load the 9mm. I notice the cost of brass seems to come up alot. This also I find odd. You pay big bucks for a gun and worry what the cost of feeding it is. Like buying a $30K car and decide to worry about the gas miliage.